PDA

View Full Version : 150 Gallon Tank Move From 2nd Story

tdawgnjlo
08/25/2009, 03:08 PM
How do I move a 150 gal 3/4" glass tank down a flight of stairs safely, and transport it safely in a van or truck without getting hurt or damaging the glass tank?

Any links or advise on how to drain, move, then transfer existing 75 gallon tank into new tank?

macronut
08/25/2009, 07:16 PM
moving it depends on demensions. I would suggest a refrigerator dolly with the tank wrapped in blanket. The blanket secured with packaging tape or duct tape. get 4 strong guys to help ease it down the stairs..one on each corner. That's the best way I know...maybe someone else will have an opinion.

tdawgnjlo
08/25/2009, 10:16 PM
Great! Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone else have any advice or links on how to best move a heavy 150 gallon tank., and then transfer process to move working live aquarium with fish, rock, coral, etc to new tank.

Thanks

tdawgnjlo
08/27/2009, 10:51 PM
Does it matter which way the tamk is oriented? Is there a side or top or back that is a weaker way to set the tank gravity down when sitting in the moving truck? Some people move their tanks while sitting on their stand which is sitting on two dolleys with wheels.

jayk198030
08/28/2009, 12:22 AM
i drain the tank to nothing.

have all coral, fish, LR, sand in buckets of some sort.

150g tank empty... man-up and carry it.

i always lay the back of tank down.. so like the side you dont see( the side the over flow is) with a thick blanket of some sort under it. dont drive like an ***.

Shane Hoffman
08/28/2009, 07:23 AM
I know my LFS store will not let you leave there store unless the tank you purchase is sitting upright, like it does on the stand.

Not sure of the reason for this but I assume it is because that is the position the tank is most structurally sound...

IridescentLily
08/28/2009, 09:08 AM
Check out Melev's reef page, he has a page dedicated to how to move a tank.
It's really comprehensive. Melevsreef.com
Good luck! :-)

nowell
08/28/2009, 09:14 AM
I moved my 90 by myself with a dolly, blankets and some 2x4's. Obviously yours is a bit bigger. As a suggestion, you can also rent those suction clamps from most hardware/equipment stores.

As for moving the contents of the 75 to the 150, there are lots of ways, depends on what you have, how long your 75's been up, what your plan is with the 150, etc.

tdawgnjlo
08/28/2009, 09:38 AM
Sounds like there is a concensus on the refridgerator dolley.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will check out Melev's site.

Nowell, how did you use the 2 x 4's? What were the 2 x 4's for?

IridescentLily
08/28/2009, 09:56 AM
http://melevsreef.com/moving_a_tank.html
I finally found the link :-)

nowell
08/28/2009, 10:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15608871#post15608871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tdawgnjlo
Sounds like there is a concensus on the refridgerator dolley.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will check out Melev's site.

Nowell, how did you use the 2 x 4's? What were the 2 x 4's for?

Mainly for helping me get the tank down from the stand (via a lower sitting entertainment center then to the floor). Once on the floor I set the tank on them to get the blanket around easier, and the dolly under it. Then my tank sat in the garage of the new house until I could get it set back up.

I have lots of 2x4's, they are used for everything from furniture to planter boxes. I guess it from growing up poor and using everything we had :D