PDA

View Full Version : balanophyllia

leslee5050
08/25/2009, 03:58 PM
I just purchased a balanophyllia from my lfs. I never saw it opened the entire time it was in the store. The lfs told me that it opened in the dark. Since I have brought it home, the only time I can get it to open up and eat is in the middle of the night, and then I can't turn any lights on and I have to use a flashlight and turn the pumps off. It is ok for now as I have to get up at 2:30am to go to work, but I am going to be out of work for a while in October. Is there some way to train this coral to eat at a normal hour?

chiclet
08/25/2009, 07:38 PM
hmm, correct me if im wrong, isnt balan just another name for dendro's? if so should be out all the time.....

as for training it, if it does only come out with lights off, every night go in like 10 min earlier n 10 min earlier and feed it till u get to the time you need. Maybe put it in a dark spot in your tank? maybe itll open more there,,,,, just some suggestions, but nothing ive read or een says they are nocturnal. though orrect me of im wrong

dieselab
08/25/2009, 08:19 PM
your lfs owner is correct. they will only open at night unless you consistently feed them and tease them will food in the day time.
they are not the same as dendros.

GreshamH
08/26/2009, 12:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15594093#post15594093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chiclet
hmm, correct me if im wrong, isnt balan just another name for dendro's?

OK since you asked... your wrong :)

Different corals all together.

chiclet
08/26/2009, 07:10 AM
Learn something new all the time!!!! They are the same family so i guess i wasnt all wrong... They are beauties...

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/939/30000926.JPG

stunreefer
08/26/2009, 08:05 AM
Balanophyllia can and will open during the day if trained to.

Initially feed them whenever they're open, then begin feeding them only during the day - they'll learn, trust me ;)

ClownNut
08/26/2009, 08:50 AM
Open 24/7
center are dendro
right are balano
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/ClownNut/Rimless/Non-photo-Corner.jpg

chiclet
08/26/2009, 09:37 AM
^^^^^ Wow great pic

leslee5050
08/26/2009, 12:21 PM
I will start working on backing up the time. It sure would be nice if they would be open when the lights are on because they are gorgeous.

bunzaroo
08/26/2009, 07:21 PM
I have some dendros, balanos and sun corals. The sun corals and balano's start opening up about 1 hour before lights out which is 10pm at 11pm they are completely out and I feed them. I still have a black balano colony that needs to be coaxed out a little bit. They are great corals!!

JenDub
08/26/2009, 08:27 PM
Wild balano are extremely light sensitive, even having the tv on at night can cause them to close up shop. With these species it seems the more they are fed and the fuller their belly the more they stay puffed out regardless of light.

Keep in mind most cave corals live in 100% darkness or get nominal indirect sunshine some parts of the day, if they stayed out during the day fish would nibble at those delectable tentacles

Keep feeding at night and ask the lfs what they were feeding it

GreshamH
08/27/2009, 11:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15596000#post15596000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chiclet
Learn something new all the time!!!! They are the same family so i guess i wasnt all wrong... They are beauties...

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/939/30000926.JPG

Well you called it a Toyota but is it a Tundra, Camry or Corolla? Species shouldn't be discounted so easily, it does mean something :) In the Dendrophyllidae family you have a broad range of corals one wouldn't think were so closely related.. Turbinaria, Duncanopsammia, Balanophyllia, Tubestrea, etc. It's a mixed bag of non photosynthetic and photosynthetic corals.

leslee5050
08/28/2009, 03:05 PM
In order to keep feeding at night, I want to try to back up the time like an hour earlier each time or so until they are eating at a reasonable hour. When I get up at 2:30am for work, they are out. As soon as I turn on a light, bam, they are gone. I turn off the pump, so the msysis won't float off, but I do need some sort of light so see, so I started using a flashlight. But here in a month or so, I will out of work for a little bit, and I will not be up at 2:30am.