PDA

View Full Version : Qt and stocking questions

Andrew17030
08/25/2009, 10:33 PM
I have had my tank up for about two months now and believe that with the help of fellow RC members am now ready to begin adding livestock. I have sand and live rock from well establised tanks. The setup is 120 gallons, 120 lbs of live rock, about a 1 inch sandbed, skimmer octo etreme 160, refugium 29 gallon, 800watts of metal halide not sure of the spectrum, no water circulation other than the what is provided from the return pump which is cut down to approximately 350gph (half of max gph). I would like to start with a cleaning crew.

Question one, is with invertibates, should I quaritine my cleaning crew as there are no current tank inhabitants other that two hermits that snuk in on the rock.

Question two, is a cleaning crew of this size accurate for the tank that I am cleaning.

Florcent purple vase spong 1
Orange fan sponge 1
Blue sponge1
Bumble bee snails 20
Astrea snails 20
Turbo snail 15
Sand cleaning star 1
Blue linckia star 1
Orange sea star 1
Hermit crabs 20
Peppermint shrimp 10 ( have approx 40 visible apptasia)

Question three, how would I best acclimate a crew of this size due to their different acclimation needs? Would I drip line the entire lot and for how long should I acclimate?

Question four, how long after I stock these animals would be prudent to wait before I stock fish?

Question five, would a bioload of nine blue/green cromis and one yellow tang from the same established tank be to much to add at one time?

Question six, would you quaritine these animals as they all came from the same environmet?

Question seven, can invertibates and fish infect eachother with disease?

mcoomer
08/26/2009, 12:19 AM
I would deal with those aiptasia before getting too far along in the process. If you can see 40 you probably have 60 and they can be a bear to get rid off. After that:

I wouldn't worry about quarantine for the cleaning crew. First inhabitants of the new tank...in they go. As for the what and how many I suppose that's a good start. Just keep an eye on them and add more if necessary. I'd opt for blue leg hermits if you can get them. Dump the lot in a bucket and drip some water in just as you would any other animal. Not sure what to do with the sponges as the only ones in my tank are hitchhikers.

For fish I'd say put the Chromis in first then add the tang. Funny but I've never had luck with schools of Chromis. I love how they add color and movement to the tank but it seems that they always end up dying off one at a time until there are none. Hope you have better luck than me. Since they're coming from one ich free/disease free enviroment (right?) and going into another I'd add them without quarantine.

Finally, I don't think that one can infect the other.

I'm spent...off to bed.