PDA

View Full Version : What will osc. pair host?

CUfishfan
08/26/2009, 12:15 PM
Hey!
I'm still new and still a little afraid of anemones (getting them to stay put, not kill everything in my tank...) but I'd love to see my oscellaris pair host something. I know it's not a given that they will, but there seem to be other corals they have hosted before.
I've got a 75g with 6x54w t5s. I just got a small frogspawn frag, but I've heard that clowns hosting can do some serious damage to the coral. I've heard interesting things about toadstool leathers and I think that might be in my tank's future.

Any other suggestions? What have your clowns hosted? Also, how well did that coral do once they started?

Thanks!

Mike in AZ
08/26/2009, 01:48 PM
I've heard they sometimes take up residence in frogspawn. My pair liked the bryopsis forest I had and eventually moved into my RBTA.

patriots81
08/26/2009, 04:03 PM
my ocellaris are hostig my GBTA. ocellaris in my opinion do not really damage other corals, they are not so crazy about hosting as compared to maroons and other clowns. i personally think that you should be fine with corals and it is very unlikely that they will host them and damage them.

WaffleWalffle22
08/26/2009, 04:36 PM
Ocellaris will NEVER host at all ever! It has never happened and will never happen. However, if you meant what will host your Ocellaris...

Most host anemones, some large mushrooms, frogspawn, hammer coral, torch coral, and I've seen them be hosted by toadstools, xenia, and other softies! ;)

CUfishfan
08/27/2009, 07:58 AM
Touche Waffle... but you knew what I meant ;)

Thanks for everyone's input!

patriots81
08/27/2009, 02:53 PM
good luck. anemones are not that hard to keep so dont worry

Creetin
08/27/2009, 02:59 PM
I would look for a small nem like a bta for your tank. Make it a RBTA and you can sell off the clones, or buy a clone off someone local and they are very hearty. I had about a dozen splits in 4 years and it pays for the stuff i have to deal with. (Moving rock ect)
Clowns can get stung from corals, I dunno if it hurts them but its unsightly because they have black spots all over them from the coral stings. Atleast mine did before i gotten the nem for them.

jon1985
08/28/2009, 09:48 AM
before mine pased they where hosted in sevral different things gha (when it was at its worst ) frog spawn, candy cane, even a pulsing xenia frag.

papareef
08/28/2009, 10:14 AM
I have had the best luck with Anenomes I have 3 pair that are laying eggs & all are hosted in anenomes

CUfishfan
08/28/2009, 10:16 AM
Thank you all so much! This has been really helpful. I have frogspawn and xenia frags that are probably too small to even register with my clowns, but I think I'm also going to get a toadstool leather and we'll just see how it goes!

I don't suppose there's any way to encourage them to start hosting (I guess "start being hosted by" is more correct)?

Coral Hind
08/28/2009, 10:25 AM
When you feel you are ready for the anemone I would really recommend any color of the BTA (Entacmaea quadricolor).

seamom
08/30/2009, 11:24 AM
I have a pair of false percs. One loves her sebae anemone and the other lived on a blue mushroom before he loved it to where the blue faded. Had to move the mushroom around to get it from loving it too much. He now lives in my xenia. The blue mushroom finally has gotten its' blue back. For what its' worth, I have had a toadstool with them before I got my nem. Never once did they ever host it. If you go with the toadstool, maybe try one with longer polyps.