PDA

View Full Version : Bristletail Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) - In a reef?

rishma
08/27/2009, 07:42 AM
Anyone keep these fish in a Reef? My 4 year old is facinated by them. Not exactly the eye candy I normally favor, but my son has never asked for a fish before.

Any experiences you can share are appreciated. Did they gobble up your corals?

Freed
08/27/2009, 07:48 AM
If you have mejanos and/or aptaisa snatch that sucker up quick before it gets away. Supposed to have a sweet tooth for those and should be reef safe.

jmaneyapanda
08/27/2009, 08:00 AM
My pair nearly destroyed all my zoas and acans before I moved them to the sps reef, where the male hunts bristeworms.

RichK
08/27/2009, 08:11 AM
I was trying one for aiptasia. It seemed OK. Never got the chance to witness the aiptasia control aspect of the fish though. A couple days after I got it, it went into the overflow, clogged the drain, and turned my 75G RR into a zero edge tank. Thank goodness for tile floors.

rishma
08/27/2009, 08:21 AM
I dont have any aptasia issues, but I do have some zoas in my reef.

jmaneyapanda - do you feed heavily? I wonder if that would keep them from eating zoas.

racerw
08/27/2009, 08:41 AM
I have one in my reef tank. I started out with 3, 2 of them liked LPS corals....zoas, brains ect. The 1 I have now does not touch any corals and loves majones. I know they are not a pretty fish but there is something about them that makes them a cool addition IMO

jmaneyapanda
08/27/2009, 09:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15602262#post15602262 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rishma
I dont have any aptasia issues, but I do have some zoas in my reef.

jmaneyapanda - do you feed heavily? I wonder if that would keep them from eating zoas.

I feed every 15 seconds....

Well, maybe not that often, but I feed a LOT and feed heavy. They just detroyed the acans, and every zoa was closed. About a week after the fish were removed, everything was opening, and the acans were healing. It may have only been one of them, since I never witnessed it, but it was thone of the two, if not both. My male just swims around with his bristleworm beard now. It makes me laugh every time.

prsammons
08/27/2009, 04:07 PM
Will they bother clams?

rishma
08/27/2009, 05:10 PM
Well, I can tolerate a nipping fish but I only keep one reef and its mixed so destroying acans and zoas is not an option for me. Oh well......maybe I should start another tank.....