PDA

View Full Version : a few more questions

Guyz_Gurl
08/27/2009, 09:17 AM
Don't have much time, so just going to get straight to the point...

1. When choosing equipment that is rated by tank volume (such as a protein skimmer, filter, etc.), do you count just the display tank, or add in the sump/fuge volume?

2. For MH lights, do you need just one ballast, or one for each light? I believe, from my reading, that I'll need two fixtures, but the whole ballast thing hasn't clicked for me yet.

3. How do you guys decide on sump/fuge size?

Are there any good books I could pick up to help me understand any of this. I am having trouble finding the time to be on here, and take my time to actually read, and I think that is where my confusion is coming from.

Thanks everyone.
Michelle

loosecannon
08/27/2009, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15602594#post15602594 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Guyz_Gurl
Don't have much time, so just going to get straight to the point...

1. When choosing equipment that is rated by tank volume (such as a protein skimmer, filter, etc.), do you count just the display tank, or add in the sump/fuge volume?

2. For MH lights, do you need just one ballast, or one for each light? I believe, from my reading, that I'll need two fixtures, but the whole ballast thing hasn't clicked for me yet.

3. How do you guys decide on sump/fuge size?

Are there any good books I could pick up to help me understand any of this. I am having trouble finding the time to be on here, and take my time to actually read, and I think that is where my confusion is coming from.

Thanks everyone.
Michelle Add total tank volume. One ballast for each light. The bigger the better .:)

jflick345
08/27/2009, 10:06 AM
+1 on those answers. More water volume = easier to stabilize your parameters. Biggest sump you can fit.

Guyz_Gurl
08/28/2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks so much. I think I am going to get my lighting setup first, but have some questions about that too. I'll go post them in the right section, though.

One last thing for now... What is the general consensus on the stands from the GARF site? Strong enough for big tanks?

Michelle