PDA

View Full Version : Outer Orbit Pro Series any thoughts?

WGardiner
08/27/2009, 10:48 AM
I am thinking of buying an Out Orbits Pro Series for my 120gal to get it set up for a mixed reef. I just want to know what people think of the fixture. The one I'm thinking of getting is a 60" 2x250 mh, 4x54 t-5 atinic, and 18 lunar LEDs.

Airborne
08/27/2009, 10:50 AM
I had one on my last tank. It was sufficient. But there are better choices out there. I believe that Current is phasing out some of the Outer Orbit Models.

Overall it will work. I would go customized though.

herozero
08/27/2009, 11:50 AM
bump on the customized route. I have a 24" 250w model, for starters you'll hate the stock bulb. second plan on hanging it somehow, because otherwise IMO it sits too close to the tank, heating the water and making any sort of in tank work a real PITA. Lastly the power connector from the MH bulb makes it so you can't swap out the ballast with any of the sunlight supply, vertex, icecap ones. I'm sure i'm forgetting other things, just don't do it :)

Toddrtrex
08/27/2009, 12:08 PM
They are discoed, so finding one might be difficult.

I have a 48" 250 watt version over my 75, and I am pretty happy with it. At first the stock MH bulbs were too yellow for my tastes, but they have grown on me and will wait until their useful life is up before replacing them. But, I have to say the growth with them has been pretty darn good.

WGardiner
08/27/2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info. I don't want to go custom right now, maybe in the future. Is there any other light fixtures in 60" that would work great for a good price, on a tight buget. i was hoping for 600+ wattage, with atinics.

herozero
08/27/2009, 02:24 PM
2 sunlight supply 250w ballasts run $260 at marinedepot. 2 lumen max 2 for $300. Figure $160 for two SE bulbs. Over $200 cheaper than a 60" outer orbit.

Nerdy Nudi
08/27/2009, 02:46 PM
hero,

Dont forget to mention your setup is not only cheaper, but will easily outperform the orbit. the orbits reflector is just bad compared to better priced reflectors such as the max's, brite's and, arc's - all lumen "_____".

Not to mention the far better resale value of these seperate components.

WGardiner
08/27/2009, 03:58 PM
If I go for a custom light setup, what would I need to get what I'm looking for. I want MH 2-3 250 watt, atinics, and would like lunar light for night time viewing. I am new to the hobby and appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Will

herozero
08/27/2009, 04:06 PM
in addition to the pendant equip you'd need a retro kit for the t-5s you want. they aren't in an enclosed fixture, so hopefully you have a canopy or some cool way to hang them. all the mail order shops have retro kits (marine depot, premium aquatics, aquacave, i'm sure lots more).

WGardiner
08/27/2009, 04:26 PM
Curt thanks for helping, I have some questions.
Do I need one ballast per pendant. Also how many pendants would be good the tank is 60"x18"x24"high(not real sure about the hight). And would I need two or four atinics. If you don't mind giving me a quick run down on a custom set up that would be great.

WGardiner
08/27/2009, 04:26 PM
Curt thanks for helping, I have some questions.
Do I need one ballast per pendant. Also how many pendants would be good the tank is 60"x18"x24"high(not real sure about the hight). And would I need two or four atinics. If you don't mind giving me a quick run down on a custom set up that would be great.

Enjoy
08/27/2009, 05:26 PM
I dont disagree with a single comment stated here, just wanted to add my .02

I really have enjoyed the Outer Orbit Pro 24". It only has the 150w MH, so no ballast required. The main reason i chose this fixture was that i do not have a canopy and I did not want big ole' metal reflectors hanging in my living room. My wife would freak. The outer orbit really does have a sleek, clean feel to it, and I really enjoy the overall look it brings to my tank. The stock lights are crap, so i would suggest find a used fixture and replace all the used lights to your liking.

Good Luck!

herozero
08/27/2009, 05:52 PM
i can't say they have treated me badly (besides the yucky stock light). Everything grows and looks great! But if I had to do it again, I would go a different route, hence my suggestion.