PDA

View Full Version : Fingernails

tufacody
08/27/2009, 11:23 AM
Lately I've been having some issues with my fingernails, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced issues after working in tank water for a while? I do take immuno-suppresants, so it might be related to that, but just thought I'd see if anyone else has had any issues.

Toddrtrex
08/27/2009, 11:58 AM
My hands are in my tanks a lot more then the should be, and never had any issues with my nails.

Ohiomom
08/27/2009, 12:00 PM
Thinking I wouldn't chance it..WEAR GLOVES! :) Never know what kind of nasty could be in your tank..plenty of people have been stung and have paid for it..

Lunchbucket
08/27/2009, 12:20 PM
When I was on immuno-suppressants I ALWAYS wore gloves! I've seen some nasty infections from people w/ full immune systems.

I still wear gloves not and am not on suppressants.

tufacody
08/27/2009, 02:29 PM
I agree gloves are best, but even so its seem like my fingertips are in the water quite a bit.

museumguy
08/27/2009, 02:58 PM
I am sensative to the salt water and constantly get what amount to low grade chemical burns on my hands. My skin peels a lot and rarely cracks but for the most part they just look ugly :-P

Eric the half-bee
08/27/2009, 07:01 PM
I have contact derm from years of healthcare and working in the tank usually flares my skin up. I've never had nail probs but I agree with recs to wear gloves.