PDA

View Full Version : top vent on a hood?

dimeondubs
08/29/2009, 08:02 AM
i always see people mounting fans on the sides of hoods, but would making holes in the top and putting a couple fans up top help with heat?? since heat rises i thought it would make a bigger difference

Henry Bowman
08/29/2009, 08:38 AM
I've seen it done several ways. My reading and personal experience is this.

Pushing air into the hood and allowing it to escape from slits in the top of the hood have done the best for me.

This way;

1- The fan is not pulling humid or hot air through it's bearings and internal workings that can cause it to rust.

2 - by putting a spacer between the light(s) and the top of a hood and then cutting slits in the top of the hood, heat naturally rises out of the hood and the fans push cool air in and out the top. This way the fan is "assisting" natural physics.

I dont think putting the fans on top would help improve this process. In additino you'd be pulling pretty warm air through the fans. It may not hurt the fan but my thinking is that it would most assuredly make the fan run hotter thus shortening thier life.

Hey, where do you chef at? Im in Virginia at www.thehomestead.com We're looking for a Chef right now. PM me and I can tell you more.

das75
08/29/2009, 08:54 AM
I have a small muffin fan in the basement ducted up through the column on the left and just a hole on the opposite side. Seems to work.

Here's a picture from when first set up:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/hood1.jpg

sjm817
08/29/2009, 09:54 AM
I have fans that blow in to the rear of my T5 canopy and vent out the top front.