PDA

View Full Version : phosphate removal... What do you do???

Reefun
08/29/2009, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking of running ROWAphos.

If you are running it please let me know what you think and what the result of running it has been for you.

I would love to hear from anyone and everyone on how they remove phosphate and the results from running your media of choice.

Thanks

luther1200
08/29/2009, 10:01 PM
Look at this thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1684486

sedor
08/29/2009, 10:20 PM
I'm not running any phosphate removal at the moment, but i've read multiple times that rowaphos is the best.

Reefun
08/29/2009, 11:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15617524#post15617524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
Look at this thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1684486

Thanks I read the thread and it was a good start to what ‘m looking for.

Reefun
08/29/2009, 11:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15617588#post15617588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryandlf
I'm not running any phosphate removal at the moment, but i've read multiple times that rowaphos is the best.

I've read the same but after reading the suggested thread I would like to know more about it now than I did before

Reefun
08/29/2009, 11:30 PM
How about Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat,r Anybody know more about what type of resin it is ?

If your using it let me know what you think :)

Reefun
08/29/2009, 11:45 PM
And now I'm looking at Kent Marine Phosphate Sponge it looks like even if it doesn't work it couldn't do much harm

HighlandReefer
08/30/2009, 06:22 AM
Studies on phosphorus removal from fresh water and sea water
By commercial sorbents
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/files/Test%20report.pdf

"Conclusions

For assessment of the studied media the capacity at higher and low equilibrium concentrations and the price should be considered. These parameters strongly depend on the initial P concentration and the target concentration. Additionally, potential harmful impacts on the aquaristic flora and fauna should be taken into account.

For the range of low P concentration, the iron-based medium RowaPhos shows the best sorption characteristics in tap and sea water. This medium is recommendable for low P target concentrations since it showed the highest q 50 and q 100 values.

ElimiPhos and Phosphate Sponge showed very similar sorption characteristics, but the price for phosphate sponge is significantly lower. It is assumed that these media mainly consist of aluminum oxide.
AntiPhos lies in the same price range but showed significant lower loadings. This might be the reason why the producer recommends for application a 10 times higher amount for 200 L sea water than for all other media.

PhosEx has the lowest price of all media and also the lowest performance in terms of loading and affinity. Removal of phosphate down to concentration lower than 500 micro g/L was not possible. High sorbent dosages might be necessary to achieve a low P concentration in aquaria, which might increase costs for the process design (larger adsorbers etc. The producer specifies that PhosEx would reduce the phosphate concentration from 10 mg/L to 1 mg/L (concentration probably given as phosphate). Summarizing, the zeolite based media AntiPhos and PhosEx are not recommendable for the range of low P-concentrations. It is not likely that these media show a better performance at higher P-concentrations.

For all media an impact on the pH of Millipore water was found. Although sea water will be buffering, it is recommendable to rinse esp. RowaPhos, AntiPhos and Phosphate

Studies on phosphorus removal from fresh and sea water by commercial sorbents

Sponge before application. It is believed that all tested media contain heavy metals; therefore the pH should be kept between 7.0 and 8.5 to prevent elution. AntiPhos showed additionally increased conductivity after elution."

jahorgos
08/30/2009, 06:44 AM
microbacter 7 and vodka.

Reefun
08/30/2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks HighlandReefer

That was a helpful read. I now know more about what I'm thinking of putting in my tank. Thanks for the info.

Do you run any phosphate remover?

Reefun
08/30/2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks jahorgos
The microbacter 7 looks like something I might give a try. But I'm not sure about the vodka dosing.

I would love to hear more about your experience using the two of these together.

Billybeau1
08/30/2009, 12:21 PM
Personally, I'd get the vodka dosing out of your head. Some have had success, but many possibilities for failure if not done correctly. Too risky IMO.

I run PhoSar by Warner Marine in a canister filter sandwiched between 2 layers of Rox Carbon. Dual purpose and does the job for me. Some run phosphate reactors and they seem to work well for most. :)

luther1200
08/30/2009, 01:05 PM
I would either go with Warner Marines High Capacity GFO, or Bulk Reef Supplies high capacity GFO. They both get excellent reviews from everyone who uses them that I have ever heard or read.

Did you see my before and after pictures in the other thread? The before was when I was runni9ng ROWAphos continuously for 2 years. The after was running BRS HC for ony 2 months. I could get a recent picture and I'm sure we would see even more improvement if you would like me to? But from what I understand WM HC is of equal quality.

jbird69
08/30/2009, 06:04 PM
this may sound totally archaic but it works wonders for me. If I get any kind of sign my phosphates are increased, I throw half a sheet of the blue phosphate sponge into my bubble trap in my sump. Fits like a glove. I pull it out after 3 days and replace it with the other half. At this time I put a micron bag of phosban in my return chamber in a basket I built that hangs on the baffle between the fuge and return.
I remove the second half of the blue pad from the bubble trap after 5 days. It never fails, my sand is snow white and glass crystal clear at about the day I remove the last pad. The bag of phosban keeps things very nice after that.

tmz
08/30/2009, 08:02 PM
I use: chaeto refugia, Bulk Reef supply HC gfo along with vodka and vinegar for a high bioload system.

Reefun
08/30/2009, 08:04 PM
Billybeau1

I don’t think I will be doing the vodka dosing too many variables and a little too labor intensive for me.

Luther1200

I’m going to order BRS HC GFO and play with around with it. I like Bulk Reef Supply. I use there three part and have had good luck with it.

I did not see your before and after pics. If you wont to post the pics or the link that would be great. And a updated pic would be good to you can never have too many pics. I think it is relevant to this tread. We are talking about phosphate removers

Jbird69

Sound like you have a system worked out. Not quite what I’m looking for in my system . I want more of a constant phosphate removal system. thanks for the info.

Reefun
08/30/2009, 08:16 PM
tmz

I also have a chaeto refugium but would like to take things to the next level. If you have pics of your system It would be great to see them.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO POST PICS OF THEIR TANKS THAT WOULD BE GREAT :)

luther1200
08/30/2009, 09:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15622172#post15622172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefun

Luther1200

I did not see your before and after pics. If you wont to post the pics or the link that would be great. And a updated pic would be good to you can never have too many pics. I think it is relevant to this tread. We are talking about phosphate removers

The before and after pics are on the thread I linked. But I will post them again and a new picture tomorrow. The lights just went off so I can't get a picture tonight.

luther1200
08/31/2009, 06:12 PM
This is the before when I was runnign ROWAphos for about 2 years, because I was always told it was the best. I tried just about everything out there and just gave up after a while.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/luther1200/TankBWA1.jpg

This is after about 2 months of running BRS HC GFO. That I just switche to by chance 1 day, because the ROWAphos was getting expensive.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/luther1200/BWAafter.jpg

This is a shot from today. I have been running the BRS HC GFO for about 3 months maybe a little more. You can notice the little patches of the Brown Wafer Algae from the second picture are basically gone. And you'll notice I finally figured out how to adjust the white balance properly,LOL.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/luther1200/tanks001.jpg

Hope this helps.

Reefun
08/31/2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the pics. They make me feel better about trying the bulk reef GFO. I'm going to try microbacter 7 for a few weeks before starting the Bulk Reef GFO. I’ll post pics when I start and updates if I start to see any results.