PDA

View Full Version : sump question

dahenley
08/30/2009, 07:45 AM
I have a 240 display tank with a 55gal sump and 10 gal refugium. i was planning on building an acrylic sump that measured around 6ft x 21 x 17-21 in tall. In my current situation, i am low on cash (being a college student and all) i was thinking of building the sump out of plywood and epoxy? what do you think? one of my plans is to cut a square out of the sump and install a piece of glass to moniter the water level in the sump. also one in the refugium area to check the growth of the macro.

who has done this, who wouldnt do this, and what would be some suggestions too?

any comments would be greatly appreciated. (the good, the bad and the ugly ones are welcome too)

mfinn
08/30/2009, 09:09 AM
Back in 1989 I saw my first wet/dry system and decided I needed on to replace a undergravel filter. But the price on them back then was as much as the rest of the tank and equipment.
So I built one using plywood and glass. ( homemade rotating spray bar.)
I built the box, sealed it with polyurthene, then lined the box with 1/8" cork and then 1/8" glass., silicone in the corners and along the top seam.
This lasted for about 4 years untill I went to a berlin style system.
It wasn't pretty by todays standards, but it worked.

GlassReef
08/30/2009, 09:20 AM
What you are describing is very possible - and actually easy to build, as far as complexity. It would probably be more work than most may think.

dahenley
08/30/2009, 09:33 AM
i have the tools and the time, but my craftsman ship isnt bad. (its not professional but not beginner either.) I have been looking at different builds (main tanks) and it seems as though each uses a different epoxy. what are some suggestions? i was looking at Aquatic Eco-Systems Epoxy paint. (what do people use under it? fiberglass mat and regular fiberglass resin? is it automotive fiberglass resin? )