PDA

View Full Version : 4 soft corals with necrotic( dissolving at the base.)

jfulmer04
08/30/2009, 06:45 PM
So i noticed a finger leather detatch and didnt think anything about it. Then tonight i got to looking and i have 5 huge colonies that are disolving at the base. What is causing it. I have a 220 with a snapper return, 2 korilia 4's powerheads. The leathers sway around during the day. At night i have them turned off so the water is calmer. All my water reads out at 0. My temperature is at 83 during the day when all the lights are on. 3 of them are on 1 side of the tank and the others are on the other side. So if you could please help. Thanks

gh0st
08/31/2009, 07:59 AM
What are your parameters like?

Sometimes a alkalinity swing can cause the tissue necrosis to start up...

jfulmer04
08/31/2009, 10:30 AM
i think i found out why. Over the past month i have been fighting my tunze ATO and my salinity was at 1.017. I bet that is what caused it. I have read that all you have to do is cut out the rotten part and let it reattach to the rock. Is this right. My alk was at 9.5 and it normally stays at 12 with the addition of kalkwasser.

gh0st
09/01/2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, a Salinity swing that big plus the fluctuating Alk. could definetly do it.

You can slice away a bit of healthy tissue around what is going necrotic just to be safe. Or I've also had pretty good luck gently scrubbing away the dying tissue with a tooth brush, and then directly applying some coral dip to sterilize it afterwards. Depends how bad it is though...

I usually try and leave the coral attached if at all possible and just give it really good water flow until it recovers.