PDA

View Full Version : i hear clicking sounds from my tank?

SEC1000
08/31/2009, 01:45 AM
i am hoping this is not the case but!!!!!!!!!

i hear a clicking noise coming from my tank every now and then is it, do i dare say its name a " Mantis shrimp "!

:(

if you agree do you have any suggestion how to get it out of a large reef tank 180gal?

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!

your thoughts are much appreciated.

Michael
08/31/2009, 04:43 AM
i answered you in the new to the hobby :)

KarlBob
08/31/2009, 03:35 PM
It's true that New to the Hobby is a better place for this question, but I'll add that it could be a pistol shrimp.

jordan3548
08/31/2009, 09:53 PM
possibly a pistol shrimp?

zachtos
09/01/2009, 01:34 PM
I have two pistol shrimps, and I hear them clicking just before lights on and after lights out usually. nothing to worry about in that case. they are very small and hard too see, but look for small caves or digging activity.

crimsontopper
09/01/2009, 02:10 PM
my pistol does that. he'll click 3 or 4 times in a row and then nothing for a while. nothing to worry about.

KarlBob
09/01/2009, 03:48 PM
Some pistol shrimp are not so small. Caves, piles of sand, and other evidence of excavation are a good way to tell you have one.

acrylic_300
09/01/2009, 10:18 PM
Maybe your seems are starting to split. I've heard of people hearing these noises before their tank blows out.

KarlBob
09/02/2009, 02:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15635217#post15635217 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acrylic_300
Maybe your seems are starting to split. I've heard of people hearing these noises before their tank blows out.
Let's hope it's not this. (shudder)

sedorusc
09/05/2009, 01:02 AM
my tiger pistol does this every night after lights out. maybe 5-6 clicks

brainwashed
09/05/2009, 09:59 PM
I've never heard my pistol shrimp click. But yes the digging around your rock work is a great way of knowing if it's a pistol shrimp. Also I believe pistol shrimps are very active at night, maybe you'll see some sand flying around a piece of rock work.

I don't know a good way to tell a mantis other than fish end up missing. Maybe bait him and a few worms in a bottle (like a coke bottle with the top cut and inserted backwards) with a piece of dead shrimp. Or just lay the shrimp on the sand bed a little after lights out and check out all of the creatures in your tank at 3am. Oh almost forgot use something to shade the color of the light to a red color.

regal101
09/06/2009, 08:02 PM
well u cant alway tell if it is a mantis by just if you have missign fish, if the mantis is too small he wont be able to catch the fish to kill the best way to reall see it, and sorry to say this, but is to throw some bait on the ground and watch here and there thru the night and see whats comes up. i had a mantis in my tank come on some live rock i bought only way i even new i had one was cause of the clicking i heard. i baited every night and just set back and watched( i have moonlights so i had just enough light to see) i took bout 3-4 days to figure out where he was living at. if you can just figure out where they are living u can just keep a real good eye thru out the day and will see the shrimp pop out here and there and determine what it really is