PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae

bolo7735
08/31/2009, 12:12 PM
What is the best way to get rid of Bubble Algae? I have read to use Emerald Crabs but they did not work. I tried picking them out with a tweezer but most of them end up popping. Now it seems they are spreading. Anyone has any advice?

seapug
08/31/2009, 12:28 PM
Once you have bubble algae you're likely to never get rid of it completely. It's like reef herpes, so you'll have "flare ups" from time to time. Best to just remove it whenever you see it whether or not it involves popping it.

Yes, popping the bubbles might make it spread, but doing nothing definitely makes it spread. If possible, take the affected rocks out of the tank and scrape off the algae in a bucket, then rinse the rocks in saltwater and put them back in the tank.

I spent yesterday afternoon doing that exact thing.

loosecannon
08/31/2009, 01:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15625504#post15625504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bolo7735
What is the best way to get rid of Bubble Algae? I have read to use Emerald Crabs but they did not work. I tried picking them out with a tweezer but most of them end up popping. Now it seems they are spreading. Anyone has any advice? When I do a water change I pop the bubble and suck it up with the siphon hose. Spoors and all. :cool:

jlemoine2
08/31/2009, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15625609#post15625609 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
Once you have bubble algae you're likely to never get rid of it completely. It's like reef herpes, so you'll have "flare ups" from time to time.

:lol: Reef herpes... perfect analogy!

bolo7735
08/31/2009, 02:04 PM
Reef herpes, that was funny.

Do anyone know what causes the bubble algae to break out?

hayes112
08/31/2009, 10:55 PM
I have the bubble algae that doesnt get very large like some types and it grows almost in a mat like fashion. Nothing I tried worked until I recently satrted using a product call algaefix marine by API. I started using it to take care of some hair algae but it made the bulbble algae break from it hold fast to the rock. It wont dissolve it or anything but it makes the removale quite easy ...in the past I could never get any to come up with out poping but now its much easier. There are a couple diffrent threads about the product I am using you can easily find.

Flipper62
08/31/2009, 11:14 PM
If I can get the rock out. I take the rock & put it in a bucket of old saltwater when doing a water change. I try to pick it off & then scrub the rest. This way any spores will be in the bucket. Then add the rock back into the tank. So Far.....Its worked

PRDubois
09/01/2009, 01:39 AM
I take the rock out and pick off the bubbles while running the rock under tap water. If it pops the running tap water will rinse off the spores.
So far it never comes back. Only have had problems when adding new rock.

AquaMANNN
09/01/2009, 05:49 AM
I take out the rocks and dont put them back into the tank. I just got done doing that, because my tank was overrun and am goning to start anew with fresh live rock.

lildraken
09/01/2009, 06:27 AM
my emerald crabs don't do anything but pop them out of the rock and then I have algae balls floating around.. yuck.

Juruense
09/01/2009, 07:47 AM
People use the term "bubble algae" to describe many types of algae. Before any suggestions can be made it must be clarified what exactly the OP means by "bubble algae".

bolo7735
09/01/2009, 08:12 AM
They are small green bubble that is attached to your live rock. Tough outer shell but when you tried to use a tweezer to pick it they pop.

100%hydrophylic
09/01/2009, 08:15 AM
lol... reef herpes...... thats the best way ive ever heard bubble algae described. well i have had extremely good luck with emerald crabs eating bubble algae, but they dont touch the big bubbles.