PDA

View Full Version : Coralife SuperSkimmer 65g

kimmi.kim
08/31/2009, 01:24 PM
Hi, I just got a Coralife Super Skimmer 65G this weekend, and set it up yesterday, followed all the instructions. but its not bubbling up..... i have the adjustment at 50% like it says....but there is no bubbles in the chamber, just flowing water.....if I put it to almost the open position, then the whole chamber is filled with bubbles and there is lots of bubbles in my tank....
anyone else has this problem? How can i fix this?

catfisher
08/31/2009, 01:44 PM
I have mine in the sump. Are you using the bubble diffuser they give you?

reeftivo
08/31/2009, 01:56 PM
Sorry, I don't have experience with that skimmer but I'm sure someone will chime in and give you some help. Sounds like you may have an obstruction at the venturi or the skimmer is just flawed. If you can, open the air up to where the bubbles rise and start breaking just below the neck of the collection cup and give it some break in time. If the bubble production stays consistent in the body of the skimmer then it should start producing a wet skimmate. If the bubble production is all over the place then it may be a flawed skimmer.

Those skimmers do not have the best performance reviews, but who knows once you get it going it may work well for you.

There are many better skimmers out there which are much easier to tune.

Good Luck!

kimmi.kim
08/31/2009, 04:05 PM
catfisher - yes i'm using the bubble diffuser...the bubbles that go in the tank seem to be coming from the bubble diffuser.

reeftivo - i have read alot of good reviews about the superskimmer, and lots that say that are garbage....im not really sure what to believe now.....which ones do u suggest? i have a 46g tank, no sump. so i need one that hangs on the back of the tank.

sjfishguy
08/31/2009, 04:12 PM
I ran this skimmer for years with success. Open the grey knob all the way, I don't even know why they say to keep it closed, its stupid.

If this makes the skimmer overflow, physically raise the skimmer higher relative to the tank. Keep the red knob half open when doing this, then fine tune it later.

The airline is clogged somewhere. Take silencer off and see what happens. If still no air check the air line itself. If still no air check to make sure there is indeed a hole drilled through the nipple where you attach the line. It is physically impossible for it to pull water and not air if the air line is not clogged somewhere.

Also, if you are running it as a HOB skimmer you are going to have problems because as the water level in your tank changes do to evaporation, the skimmer's bubble level will change making it less efficient.

I would also get rid of the silencer and use a cheap freshwater airstone. The stock silencer gets clogged easily and will soon impede airflow. Change the airstones every month or so, they are like 50c.

kimmi.kim
08/31/2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks sjfishguy! now that u mention it, i think i did see some water in the air tubing....i'll check that first and see if its clogged. ok ill switch the silencer to a airstone..

yea running it HOB is the only way i can run the skimmer since i dont have a sump. hopefully this wont affect the performance too too much.

thanks again!