PDA

View Full Version : A little confused with levels during cycle...

eb8919
08/31/2009, 07:38 PM
Well I started my tank up on 08/19. Its a 90 gallon with 75 g sump. I have roughly 130 pounds of lr between the display and sump and roughly 60 lbs ls. I added the rock un-cured. I've been running an msx-200..carbon..and a hob filter to clear up the water since day 1. I also added a rock and scoop of sand from a friends tank to help seed some bacteria.
After a few days of letting it run, I decided to start testing.

08/22
Ammonia - 0 (could the spike have happened that quickly?)
Nitrites - 0.5
Nitrates - 10

At this point i began supplementing Seachem Stability to introduce some bacteria and help along the cycling process. I expected since i used mostly uncured live rock that my levels would sky rocket for the first while.

08/25
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 1
Nitrates - 20

At this point a diatom bloom had started and had my tank well covered. My skimmer was producing a fair amount of skimmate and i also added macro to my refugium.

08/27
Some minor hair algae and diatoms continued to spread. I added 2 emerald crabs and a bottle of pods to see if i could get it cleaned up.

08/31
I was hoping that my nitrite and ammonia levels would be 0 and expected my nitrates to be between 20-50. But this is what i got.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate- 0??? Tested twice.

Is it possible that the macro and hair algae have consumed the nutrients? The tank has only been running for 2 weeks so i don't know what to think. The pods and emerald crabs are mowing down on algaes and the macro is growing noticeably. But is it possible i missed a cycle even though i seen my nitrites spike? It seems way to early to add any thing substantial to the tank like a fish and im also worried that if I did and i HAD missed an ammonia spike, the fish will cause 1 and suffer the consequences. Should i add a chunk of frozen brine shrimp and see what happens over the next week?

eb8919
08/31/2009, 09:49 PM
Anybody?

sedor
08/31/2009, 09:51 PM
Yes, the algae is probably consuming the NO3 and thats why your tests are reading 0. It wouldn't hurt to go to the grocery store and buy a couple raw table shrimp and toss them in the tank for a week or so. If you didn't add some sort of ammonia like this when you started I would do it before you proceed with livestock.

sedor
08/31/2009, 09:52 PM
BTW, nice system for a noob...your not going to regret the size when it comes time to adding fish.

eb8919
08/31/2009, 09:59 PM
Im not a total nooob...I've had a tank going for the last year and a half...but it is my 2nd time around through a cycle and my 1st time around with such a good size system, so im not totally sure what to expect. I did add half a cube of frozen brine shrimp on 08/20.