PDA

View Full Version : Think my water change water sat too long.

jbird69
08/31/2009, 09:42 PM
I wanted to let my bryopsis treatment do its job so I had some water prepared, but didnt use it for about 5 days, it was loosly covered in the garage. When I used it my dkh plummited from 10 to 7 and I am seeing some rtn on a couple sps. My corals were looking awesome and they really have lost color now. Did my alk precipitate out of the water while it sat? What problems can occuur to freshly mixed saltwater as it sits for any length of time?

2thdeekay
08/31/2009, 11:27 PM
There really should be no problem with having your newly mixed SW sit around. Is there anything else that may have happened? -Something like your bag of salt getting wet, etc.

bertoni
08/31/2009, 11:59 PM
I've let saltwater sit for months without problems, but if the temperature goes high enough, precipitation might occur. That seems unlikely, though. Maybe the SG didn't match well enough?

jbird69
09/01/2009, 08:13 AM
hmmmm. Not sure what happened there. I did notice the water I added had developed a waxy/flakey residue on the surface which made me think of precipitate. It appears I have things back to normal and no other livestock was effected. The sg was a tad higher because my tank needed an sg boost from aggressive dosing.