PDA

View Full Version : Re-sealing a 40g hex

bpkenn
09/01/2009, 12:46 AM
Anyone have experience resealing a hex tank? I acquired a 40g hex tank with a leaky seam and was hoping to fix it.

Is this as simple as cutting away the silicone between the glass panes (doesnt look like they touch each other), and applying the silicone and leak testing? I can use the bracing to hold the pieces in place while i reapply the silicone, correct?

have I overlooked anything else to fix this and make sure that 40 gallons doesnt end up on my floor at a future date?

nauticac4
09/01/2009, 09:29 AM
Ive done it with tanks up to 180 gallons and havent had a problem. I tried a hex a few weeks ago and this is my 3rd time trying to get it sealed. You figure out the trick let me know

bpkenn
09/01/2009, 01:28 PM
how are you going about sealing the tank? What brand & type of silicone are you using?

bpkenn
09/02/2009, 03:56 AM
I still have the bracing that the tank came with. im assuming its an old AGA 45g hex. I was thinking of removing the top brace, cleaning the edge really good with a razor and solvent (acetone).

I actually heard to use a felt polishing pad on the old silicone, then wipe up the dust with mineral spirits, then clean up with acetone.

I'm going to re-apply silicone to the top edges (not the joints) after cleaning up the top edges, and the bracing from all silicone residues. Then put the bracing back in place, and allow it to cure for a few days with a bucket of water in the tank (higher humidity cures this silicone faster.)
After thats secured, i'm going to strip out the remainder of the bottom seals, clean those of all residues, and seal the sides (inside, and outside(hex tanks have an thick triangle shaped outer seam)) and then the bottom as quickly and thorougly as I can.

How's that sound for a game plan? Any suggestions will help

For my silicone, I will be using RTV108. This is the professional grade stuff that tank builders use.