PDA

View Full Version : brittle/serpent stars, an anemone, and a missing fish

alaska clowns
09/01/2009, 07:36 PM
I noticed this week that I have (what seems like hundreds) of either brittle or serpent stars... they are in the sand and on the live rock. I think the largest that I have SEEN is probably a little bigger than a dime, including legs. I'm wondering how to tell if I have any green brittle stars, the kind that are fish eaters, and also how to tell if I maybe have one that is larger and I've never seen it before?

The reason for my question is that my Royal Gramma has been missing for about three weeks - she disappeared while a friend was caring for my tank while I was on vacation. Perhaps the more likely culprit would be my friend's haddoni carpet anemone that is in my tank until she gets her new tank set up, but I don't know. Please give me your thoughts.

badwrasse
09/01/2009, 08:00 PM
thoser little stars are common and harmless they don't get big I foget the name of them.
I would blame the anemone

regal101
09/01/2009, 08:21 PM
+1 any stars that big wouldnt be the problem

wondermidget
09/01/2009, 09:07 PM
The stars are most likely little bristle stars, they don't get very big ( I have tons of them too) they are good filter feeders. I would think that the anemone is the bad guy. Did you make sure that it didn't go carpet surfing behind the tank? I used to have a gramma that was a jumper.

alaska clowns
09/01/2009, 10:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15634760#post15634760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wondermidget
The stars are most likely little bristle stars, they don't get very big ( I have tons of them too) they are good filter feeders. I would think that the anemone is the bad guy. Did you make sure that it didn't go carpet surfing behind the tank? I used to have a gramma that was a jumper.

No dried up fish on the carpet, but we looked. I'm thinking it was the anemone; he certainly wore out his welcome.

Plan>B
09/01/2009, 10:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15634342#post15634342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by badwrasse
thoser little stars are common and harmless they don't get big I foget the name of them.
I would blame the anemone

Any one know the name of these? I have a few in my nano and I love them, would like to get more for my other build... do they breed fast?

alaska clowns
09/01/2009, 11:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15635327#post15635327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Plan>B
Any one know the name of these? I have a few in my nano and I love them, would like to get more for my other build... do they breed fast?

I'm pretty sure they are brittle or serpent stars. Here's a link with pics if you go down to the starfish heading- though I found it hard to make an exact ID for mine. Hope that helps

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html