PDA

View Full Version : less than 10 g. frag tank..

mikejones
09/01/2009, 11:05 PM
is this doable or will have lots of issues with it?

logan 12
09/03/2009, 07:49 PM
I have a 20 gallon frag tank that does awesome not sure on anything smaller than that tho. I just run a rio nano skimmer on it and some chemi pure in a aqua clear filter. I am growing anything from ur simple softy to sps corals....... And T5 HO's for lights.

mikejones
09/03/2009, 08:20 PM
Thanx for the reply, I know there are plenty of 20g. frag tanks out there,
but my problem is that I've no room on my apt. to set up a bigger than 10g.
frag tank and was wondering if a smaller frag tank was possible to place it under
my DT.

BTW. Can you post some pics of you Frag tank? :D

mike

logan 12
09/03/2009, 09:35 PM
Ya I can do that. Um..... may have to give me until tomorrow some time tho. I dont think that I have taken any recent picture of the tank.

LPS_Blasto
09/04/2009, 12:10 PM
I have a 10g frag tank with PC lighting. Does great for growing out zoas, mushrooms, palys and LPS corals.

LPS_Blasto
09/04/2009, 12:23 PM
Here is my 10g frag tank:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1867391.JPG

It's a little empty right now. Sold a lot of frags last month.

78w PC lighting. (6) bubs @ 13w each
(1) 10k
(2) Actinic
(3) 460

Aqua Traders small HOB refugium powered by MJ1200. The fuge has a built in skimmer. I change 2g - 3g of water weekly.

I want to get the live rock and sand out of the tank. There is a DSB and cheato in the refugium. Would like to put a few pieces of the rock in the fuge and let the rest dry out. I want to go bare bottom in this tank.

If I load the racks up, I can get exactly 80 frag plugs in there. I've got 10-12 assorted frags lying in the sand bed. Mostly unattached mushrooms. I gave up trying to glue or rubber band mushrooms to plugs. Easiest thing to do is plop them on the bottom and wedge them into a corner between a few rocks. They'll attach their foot in their own time.

The racks are from BlackRock reef and the frag plugs are from Oceans Wonders. Light fixture was custom made by Catalina Aquatrium. Great deal and good people to work with IMO.

EDIT:
You could do the same thing in a 5g tank. My frag tank was a 5g last year until I upsized it to this 10g. Same equipment.

www.oceanswonders.com
www.blackrockreef.com

mikejones
09/04/2009, 03:17 PM
logan 12
no problem be sure to take some close ups pics. :D

Hey LPS_Blasto
thanks for sharing your Frag Tank, really great info you've provided. I will give a 5g tank a try when my corals are ready to be frag meanwhile I'll be saving for the
equip. what do you use as water Top off? BTW can you post close up pics.

thanx

mike

LPS_Blasto
09/04/2009, 08:05 PM
I have a piece of tape on the side to mark the water level. I just dip a pitcher of water outta my 6g RO bucket and top the frag tank off manually every day. Just pour it into the refugium and let it slosh into the tank until the water level reaches the tape.

Close ups? I'll try, but my camera SUCKS at macro shots - they'll be all blurry.

logan 12
09/04/2009, 09:26 PM
Here are some pictures of the frag tank, missed ur post about the close up shots.... I can take some more pictures if needed. I do have some macro shot of some of the mother colonies in the tank if u wnated ot see thos also.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll203/Kawakidd/IMG_1356.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll203/Kawakidd/IMG_1358.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll203/Kawakidd/IMG_1359.jpg

mikejones
09/04/2009, 11:01 PM
LPS_Blasto thanx for the info your providing, this will help/give me an idea on how to run/set up my Frag Tank. Oh and the pics don't have to be macro shots just like the ones logan 12 posted.

logan 12 this is exactly what I wanted to see, Im really satisfied with these pics.
How about some info on your set up.

Again THANX a lot guys for sharing this.

logan 12
09/05/2009, 10:50 PM
I run 2 T5 HO's fixtures over the tank with 24watt bulbs, for a total of 4 bulbs all together. There r just 2 10ks and 2 actinics. I also have a rio nano skimmer over the tank that wet skims. The tank has a aquaclear power filter on the back I think it is the 30. In it is chemi-pure and and sponge for mech-filtration. And a power head in the tank for flow, water changes r done when ever I get a chance to do them... hahaha that is not very often. Thats about it, thr is cheto in the tank to help keep the nitrate levels zero. Not much else fairly simple set up, works great for me and coral growth is good.