PDA

View Full Version : Post Copper Treatment & Bacteria Culture Addition?

reef_enthusiast
09/02/2009, 11:35 AM
I was curious if it would be beneficial to use a bacteria culture addition such as Brightwell MicroBacter7 (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BW-BAC250&Category_Code=) or Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II Nitrifying Bacteria (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EL-NITEH16&Category_Code=) after treating a FOWLR with CopperSafe.

I know some are going to say I should have used a QT. Let me explain what happened. It's an established 280 system that initially started out as a SPS tank in 2002 and was converted to a FOWLR early 2008. A few weeks ago, late at night, my main pump had a complete failure. Luckily I had a spare pump (although totally different model) and some pvc laying around that I was able to temporarily replumb the tank in about 6 hours. The following day I got pvc I needed to redo the plumbing permanently. After the whole ordeal of the tank running with no main pump for 6 hrs on 2 occasions, I noticed all fish and especially the tangs were covered in ICH. I have a lot of fish and QT'ing was not possible. So, since I have no plans of doing a reef with the system in the future, I decided to treat the whole tank. I was able to save all livestock and this is my 4th week of copper treatment and keeping the levels the best I can between 1.5 - 2.0.

This may or may not be an interesting point to some. Since it's a FOWLR I've been dealing with nitrates between 25 - 50. I had an old Korallin C1502 that I decided to convert to a sulphur denitrator. I ended up putting it up almost 2 weeks ago with CaribSea L.S.M (Live Sulfur Media) (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C-LSM&Category_Code=). Last saturday I was testing effluent from the reactor. Per Korallin's instructions, should test for ammonia, nitrites, & nitrates if nitrites are 0. The tank still has a copper level of 1.5 - 2.0 according to my salifert test kit. Was expecting to see 0, 0, and 50 (current nitrate levels) since the system had copper and more than likely killed the beneficial bacteria. Saw 0 ammonia which didn't surprise me. Had very low traces of nitrite that suprised me. So, decided to test nitrates and it was 5 while tank water was at 50. That has me questioning if I really did kill the nitrifying bacteria or not in my live rock like so many said will happen with copper treatment. I know on CopperSafe's instructions it states "will not interfere with the biological filter". I believe that me setting up my sulphur nitrate reactor somewhat proves that claim.

Sorry for the long post...just wanted to share what I've observed treating with CopperSafe.

wooden_reefer
09/02/2009, 11:50 AM
Long ago CUsafe is said to depress nitrification by about 20%.

I use straight Cu now and never worry about nitrification .

I have not spent any money on any bacteria seed.

reef_enthusiast
09/02/2009, 12:11 PM
thanks for the reply.

not sure if i'm going to do the bacteria culture additions. currently i have 50lbs of dry rock purchased from marcorocks sitting in a separate tank and seeding it with a rock from my nano tank.

psilentchild
09/02/2009, 12:22 PM
Thats what I was asking in The achilles tang thread and was told dont do it.Let me know how that works

wooden_reefer
09/02/2009, 01:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15637844#post15637844 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reef_enthusiast
thanks for the reply.

not sure if i'm going to do the bacteria culture additions. currently i have 50lbs of dry rock purchased from marcorocks sitting in a separate tank and seeding it with a rock from my nano tank.

Any old gravel or LR from any old tank will have plenty of nitrification bacteria.

reef_enthusiast
09/02/2009, 10:50 PM
psilentchild...one of my tangs is an achilles tang. He was one of the tangs that was covered. Even with the ICH the tangs were eating well. Once I dosed the Coppersafe, after a few days they were clean. At the end of this week will be one month treatment with Coppersafe. All livestock are doing well. I doubt I will go with the bacteria culture additions. With the amount I would spend on that I'd rather just get some new live rock.

wooden_reefer...thanks for the reply. The fish are active and eating well and no ammonia or nitrites. So, will just let the dry rock sit in the other tank with a few pieces from my nano till I no longer get any reading of copper.