PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide Help

spoofer
09/02/2009, 06:19 PM
Hello all, I'm trying to decide on lighting options for my new tank.

I currently have a 58 Acrylic with 2 x 150 w Outer Orbit( 14k phx) with a T5 retro kit by current usa with parabolic reflectors with 14k bulbs. I love the setup, but i've recently made the plunge into a a 120 Oceanic Tech Tank, and i've posted on that thread but haven't gotten alot of help.

I'm considering a single unit 250w/T5 combo like the outer orbit or going with a (2) 400 Watt pendants? I'm pretty out of touch with pendant and seperate ballast technology- I was looking for some feed back on what people would suggest.

I'm not to concerned about heat as i have a chiller, but I'm looking to make a simple but efficent light system.

I really like some these dimmable ballasts, but at the same time i'm concerned about just having MH and no supplemental T5 light and moon lights...i guess it's a prefrence, but if anyone could give me there thoughts i would appreciate it.

I know there is a ton of reflector options and ballast options, but i'm open to all. Oh and the footprint of the tech Tank is 48.5 x 24 x 25h

thanks again for your feedback and time

spoofer
09/09/2009, 05:37 PM
anyone?>

Nereaga
09/09/2009, 06:30 PM
I just got a used Current Outer Orbit Mh/T5 fixture for my 75g reef tank, the 2-150w Mh's and 4-54w T5s. I LOVE it! I started off with Mh only and then went to T5 only and now I have the best of both worlds! :)

For the 120g, I think the 250w version of the Outer Orbit will work fine. Or you could just do the 400w pendants.

I personally like the color you get from T5's and the better growth from Mh. Why not have both? :)

Brad

sedor
09/09/2009, 06:42 PM
I used to be very afraid of going with halides because I was scared of having a pee yellow looking tank without running actinics. That is until I made the plunge and got them anyways, and I couldn't be happier with the results. IMO almost any bulb 14K or higher is going to give you a nice blue to the point where you don't need actinics. Of course you can have them if you want a longer light period, but I just choose to turn my halides on when I am home from work and off all day so there are on almost the whole time i'm home.

Here is a picture of my tank with just 14K phoenix halides:
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss268/ryandlf/FTS.jpg
That's just how it looks in person as well...nice and blue!

spoofer
09/09/2009, 09:07 PM
sweet thanks for the feedback... I like the T5's but i've seen alot of 400 W that have awesome blue color and thats what i'm leaning toward at this point but i'm kind of lost in the maze of reflectors, wiring, ballast and ghetto hanging pendants!?!? i'd like to keep a open top so i really like the sleek look of the all in one units.

Thanks for the input