PDA

View Full Version : Another Hybrid Pygmy Angelfish

basser1
09/02/2009, 08:54 PM
On reef-builders, and they have an article with pics of another hybrid pygmy angelfish, anyone remember the Tygerpyge?

Here's a link:

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/09/02/hybrid-pygmy-angelfish/#comments

Fishkid, where are you?

fishkid6692
09/02/2009, 09:22 PM
i would say it's heraldi x eibli but i'm no expert. there saying bicolor and i don't see it. let some other more experienced people chime in. i can't wait to see the other hybrid they said there going to post.

copps
09/02/2009, 11:00 PM
I received that photo last month (unlabeled at the time) and was asked about that fish... what a fish! I thought Centropyge bicolor/C. heraldi hybrid... I don't think it's a full xanthic bicolor, as I've seen many... this fish clearly has input from bicolor...dorsal and anal fins... lines on the body..., but the face, overall body morphology, and anal fin coloration appear to show heraldi... heraldi and bicolor are very closely related along with a few other species and share an overlapping range... so that's my postulation...

Joe Russo is a true fish nerd and knows his stuff... he should be commended for bringing fish like this to our side of the pond... It's not an easy business and he's worked hard to get where he is... way to go Joe...

Copps

fishkid6692
09/02/2009, 11:11 PM
this is the second really cool centropyge hybrid that he's brought in that i know of. though theres probably more. i guess now that you mention it i do notice the simularities with a bicolor but then where do the orange lines throughout the fishes body come from? i don't see either on C. heraldi or C. bicolor? also the blue rim around the anal fin makes me think C. eibli as well as the orange stripes.

copps
09/02/2009, 11:22 PM
He's brought in other cool hybrids... the orange lines shown on this specimen are present in bicolor, but are much more pronounced on this fish because of the pure yellow input from heraldi... the blue on the anal fin could be remnants of bicolor... I'm going more on morphology on this one... but it is far from sure...

fishkid6692
09/02/2009, 11:39 PM
i keep looking at diff. pics and it makes me think more and more bicolor. especially after that you said the orange lines and blue rim could be from the bicolor. now that i think of it if it was C. heraldi x C. eibli where would the dorsal and anal fins come from? they aren't trates of either. i now agree with you on the C. heraldi x C. bicolor. i should have just agreed from the start because your WAY more experienced then me ha. thanks. :)

JHemdal
09/03/2009, 08:19 AM
C. bispinosa from Samoa?