PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Aquarium Glass

ndininno
09/03/2009, 12:44 PM
OK, I got a tank from a friend who had it set up as a reef tank, and I'm trying to get the thing clean. My problem is that there is a white haze all over the sides and back panes of glass. The backs and sides I'm not too concerned with becuase I'm setting it up in wall, but the front has a really obvious circular marking. I tried soaking overnight with vinegar(5% acetic acid), 25% acetic acid, CLR, 20% Muriatic acid, and scraping it with a whole lotta stank on it. Even with the tank filled you can still easily see it.

There was a piece of coral there for like 5 years or something, so that's what made the spot. It's so profound I can actually feel it with my fingertips, and when scraping the razor across the glass it stops the razor so the markings are taller than a razor blade's edge. It's very unsightly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I'm new to the forum. I searched for similar topics but nothing really came of them.

luther1200
09/03/2009, 01:16 PM
I would soak it in a strong vinegar solution for a few days. That should do it. I would use like a 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water. But others may know of something faster.

bertoni
09/03/2009, 02:02 PM
I suspect the glass is scratched. If so, the scratches are permanent. If the tank were acrylic, it could be polished, with a lot of manual work. I've done that, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. Does the marked area bubble when some vinegar is applied? If not, then there's no calcium carbonate to clean up.

HighlandReefer
09/03/2009, 04:39 PM
ndininno,

http://www.reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif
To Reef Central

ndininno
09/04/2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I actually let it soak in a much stronger concentration of acetic acid than vinegar for a few days. I got the calcium off that way. These are raised so it has to be a mineral deposit and not etching.

ndininno
09/09/2009, 11:32 AM
This stuff definitely isn't phased by acid. Any other suggestions?

HighlandReefer
09/09/2009, 02:21 PM
Using a paint scrapper with a lot of new razor blades will help get the thick calcium carbonate off. Just don't scratch the glass.

Muriatic acid sold at hardware stores for removing cement from brick and stone is a stronger acid. Follow the directions and especially the safety precautions. ;)

kgross
09/09/2009, 03:33 PM
if the 20% muratic acid did not do anything, I'm not sure what else to suggest. You might try a really strong base as well, but I doubt it would do much of anything either.

I have no idea what else to tell you to try.

dan223
09/09/2009, 05:05 PM
If muriatic acid is not getting it off you are probably not dealing with calcium deposit, the glass might of got etched somehow. Try scraping it with razor or heavy elbow grease with scrub pad and some baking soda, if that doesnt clean it might be etched.

bertoni
09/09/2009, 10:41 PM
I agree that the acid would remove a calcium carbonate deposit. If you try treating it with a strong base, be very careful since such a chemical can do a lot of damage to you. I'd just consider the damage as permanent, and work from there.

luther1200
09/10/2009, 02:11 PM
Can you get a picture?

ndininno
09/16/2009, 09:35 AM
Sorry I was in Vegas for a long weekend. I'll get some pics together asap.