PDA

View Full Version : AKL swing

Tommy Tang
09/03/2009, 08:07 PM
I try to fix my AKL swing and i read many people use 2 part solution to stay on target.Can anybody ales give me good advise on haw you keep your AKL and calcium in check.

So my worse day just happen one of SPS is getting white from the tip down the rest of the colony look good what i need to do now to safe my coral. i am sure is from AKL swinging can somebody give a advice pales.:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Tommy Tang
09/03/2009, 08:22 PM
bump pleas help

Rick55555
09/03/2009, 08:53 PM
You can maintain proper alkalinity and calcium levels by administering a 2 part solution daily. I have been using the 2 part sold by Bulkreefsupply (bulkreefsupply.com). There are many other 2 part options available (including commercial solutions such as B-ionic and DIY solutions such as Randy's).

The idea is you administer equal amounts of alkalinity and calcium. You start by getting your alkalinity and calcium within acceptable ranges. You can do this with the 2 part solution. From there, you administer a daily dosage according to the number of stony corals in your tank (i.e. a smaller dosage for fewer corals or a higher dosage if you have many coral). After a few days, you test the alkalinity and calcium. If they've increased, you decrease the amount of two part solution. If the parameters have decreased, you would increase the amount of 2 part.

I hope this helps :)

Rick

coral_lagoon
09/03/2009, 08:55 PM
I don't use 2 Part. I drip a stronger mix of kalkwasser at night , and do about 8-10gallon water change once a week on my 60gal. SPS tank. The kalkwasser maintains my calcium and alkalinity levels. For me, this is a solid routine. Keeps my parameters rock stable at

calcium 450

alkalinity 9.8 DKH

Initially I would do calcium, alkalinity tests once a week. Now I do those tests maybe twice a month. The weekly water changes takes care of the rest..

Tommy Tang
09/03/2009, 09:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15646270#post15646270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rick55555
You can maintain proper alkalinity and calcium levels by administering a 2 part solution daily. I have been using the 2 part sold by Bulkreefsupply (bulkreefsupply.com). There are many other 2 part options available (including commercial solutions such as B-ionic and DIY solutions such as Randy's).

The idea is you administer equal amounts of alkalinity and calcium. You start by getting your alkalinity and calcium within acceptable ranges. You can do this with the 2 part solution. From there, you administer a daily dosage according to the number of stony corals in your tank (i.e. a smaller dosage for fewer corals or a higher dosage if you have many coral). After a few days, you test the alkalinity and calcium. If they've increased, you decrease the amount of two part solution. If the parameters have decreased, you would increase the amount of 2 part.

I hope this helps :)

Rick

i don't have ATo so how do you dose your 2 pert solution
thank you

Tommy Tang
09/03/2009, 09:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15646274#post15646274 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coral_lagoon
I don't use 2 Part. I drip a stronger mix of kalkwasser at night , and do about 8-10gallon water change once a week on my 60gal. SPS tank. The kalkwasser maintains my calcium and alkalinity levels. For me, this is a solid routine. Keeps my parameters rock stable at

calcium 450

alkalinity 9.8 DKH

Initially I would do calcium, alkalinity tests once a week. Now I do those tests maybe twice a month. The weekly water changes takes care of the rest..

thank you i need to safe my coral any suggestion

coral_lagoon
09/03/2009, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15646309#post15646309 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tommy Tang
thank you i need to safe my coral any suggestion

Do a 15% water change now, and start dripping kalkwasser for your makeup water for now on. Then the following week start doing 8-10% water changes on a regular basis..

Tommy Tang
09/03/2009, 09:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15646351#post15646351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coral_lagoon
Do a 15% water change now, and start dripping kalkwasser for your makeup water for now on. Then the following week start doing 8-10% water changes on a regular basis..

i have done 20% water change weekly , i need to start dripping kalkwasser

coral_lagoon
09/03/2009, 09:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15646387#post15646387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tommy Tang
i have done 20% water change weekly

Thats good. Yeah get on the kalkwasser. For my tank since its pretty heavily stocked with stony corals. I do about 2 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of RO/DI water. I don't know how stocked your tank is..

Rick55555
09/03/2009, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15646304#post15646304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tommy Tang
i don't have ATo so how do you dose your 2 pert solution
thank you

You don't need an ATO to dose 2 part. You just pour the contents into your sump.

Rick

sedor
09/03/2009, 09:28 PM
Careful with kalkwasser though...I don't want to say its not an option, because Coral_lagoon you probably have a much nicer tank than me, but there are downsides to the stuff as well. For one, you cannot maintain levels as easily because you aren't directly affecting your parameters, your simply allowing a substance to enter your column depending on how much evaporation you have. A 2 part is a less "blind" way of maintain parameters and IMO is generally a lot more stable. Some swear by the stuff, some won't touch it and we only use it to zap aiptasia. Either way, a little homework is necessary before you start dosing your tank with anything.

coral_lagoon
09/03/2009, 09:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15646448#post15646448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryandlf
Careful with kalkwasser though...I don't want to say its not an option, because Coral_lagoon you probably have a much nicer tank than me, but there are downsides to the stuff as well. For one, you cannot maintain levels as easily because you aren't directly affecting your parameters, your simply allowing a substance to enter your column depending on how much evaporation you have. A 2 part is a less "blind" way of maintain parameters and IMO is generally a lot more stable. Some swear by the stuff, some won't touch it and we only use it to zap aiptasia. Either way, a little homework is necessary before you start dosing your tank with anything.

Kalkwasser has always worked for me. Back when I had my 50 gallon sps tank which was lit with only 4 VHO lamps. This tank ran for 5 years with excellent sps growth. Not to metion stable calcium and alk levels through out the time. Keep in mind that weekly water changes and the kalk together are the two key factors here, not kalk alone. with that being said, I am applying my same old technique with my current 60gal cube sps tank..

Rick55555
09/03/2009, 09:40 PM
If you do take the kalk route have a look at the following ReefKeeping article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Rick

coral_lagoon
09/03/2009, 09:54 PM
Heres a better article on the use of kalkwasser. Especially for someone first time trying it..

http://www.simplifiedreefkeeping.com/faq/17.htm

coral_lagoon
09/04/2009, 02:55 PM
Get one of these 5 gallon containers with the dispenser.
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv267/rapid25_2009/IMG_0027.jpg

I mix 5 gallons of kalkwasser this way. With the spout it's very convenient,kalkwasser on the tap..

Tommy Tang
09/04/2009, 05:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15646432#post15646432 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rick55555
You don't need an ATO to dose 2 part. You just pour the contents into your sump.

Rick

Thank you do i drip the solution at nigth or just replace the waperated water? and how muche of each i need to add?

Tommy Tang
09/04/2009, 05:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15646585#post15646585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coral_lagoon
Heres a better article on the use of kalkwasser. Especially for someone first time trying it..

http://www.simplifiedreefkeeping.com/faq/17.htm

thank you