PDA

View Full Version : Kalk or 2 part

row-z
09/04/2009, 08:25 AM
I have a 90 gal reef tank and I think it's time to start adding supplements. My pH, dKH, and calcium have slowly been declining. They are currently 7.8 pH, 5dKH, 380 calcium. I would like to use kalk however have no room in my sump for drip. My question is since I only have to top off 1/2 gallon per day could I make up the kalk ahead of time the use as top off if I pour it into sump? Would this be a small enough amount that it wouldn't change things too drastically. Or should I just use a 2 part? From what I've read it seems kalk has more advantages.

Toddrtrex
09/04/2009, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't suggest pouring a 1/2 gallon of Kalk-water into the tank at once -- will really miss up your levels.

But, you really don't need all that much room in your sump to drip kalk, I have my kalk container next to the tank, and just run an IV line to the sump, which takes up almost no room. I drip kalk 24/7 (( assuming I remember to refill the container )), but I also have to dose 2 part nightly --- with the amount of SPS I have, kalk alone can't keep up with my needs.

EverettReef
09/04/2009, 09:49 AM
I would not recommend pouring 1/2 gallon a day of kalk into your sump. It needs to be added more slowly. You would cause a pretty severe ph swing near the outlet of your return.

EverettReef
09/04/2009, 09:50 AM
Oops, too slow.... Todd is right.

row-z
09/04/2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I already new the answer, just was hoping someone would say it was okay!! Thanks for saving me a lot of trouble if I had acted on my own. Nice to have a place with so much great information available.

Michael
09/04/2009, 01:03 PM
you could put the kalk into a plastic container and stand it on the tank and allow it to drip slowly via a knot or a clamp, not ideal but it will work, ive done it myself.

eyesinthedrk
09/04/2009, 01:05 PM
before doing anything drastic make sure your mag levels are appropriate, i was having a similar issue even dosing cal alk and mag 3 part according to bottle instructions didnt do me any good untill i finally got a mag test kit, found i was way low,

correcting it with a one time epsom salt diy sup, 8 cups to 1 gal of ro water as per randy's reef chem article dripped in over night , now my cal and alk levels hold after dosing rather than dropping in a week like they used too

row-z
09/04/2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks, Ihaven't been testing mag levels, I'll go get a kit this weekend. Also if I do rig up a slow drip for kalk (if I need it), how long should it take to get 2 quarts in. I was thinking I could use one of my drip acclimation kits, and it could just drip at night so we wouldn't have to look and a jug on a stool during the day.

Crustman
09/04/2009, 07:19 PM
The easiest way for me to dose kalk was to get a GSA Kalk stirrer. My ATO now dispenses kalk in the sump everytime it fills the stirrer. A one way backflow preventer keeps kalk out of the RO reservoir.

Tswifty
09/04/2009, 11:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15651027#post15651027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Crustman
A one way backflow preventer....
Is that a fancy way of saying "check valve"

Sorry couldn't resist. :p :lol:

Tswifty
09/04/2009, 11:24 PM
In my opinion kalk is best used in combination with an auto top off device, that way small amounts are delivered throughout the course of the day. I would also recommend getting an ATO, as it will help bring some added stability to you system, and remove a daily maintenance task. You can drip kalk as mentioned above, but I personally would be a little nervous doing so. Murphy's Law always seems to get me, so I try and plan accordingly.

If you're manually topping off the tank, I would use 2-part.

sedor
09/04/2009, 11:52 PM
Go 2 part...kalk is a great way to maintain levels, but IMO a 2 part additive or Ca reactor is necessary for any reef tank. Both are just as simple to do and with 2 part you are dosing exactly what you need, when you need it.

row-z
09/05/2009, 09:18 AM
I think I will just go 2 part. I don't have room for a stirrer and an ATO unit. My sump takes up all of the space under the tank so any other equipment would have to go on the outside. My husband is pretty tolerate of my addiction but with both the 180 gal and 90 gal in the same room I doubt having to move furniture out of the room to put in more equipment would be acceptable. Thanks again for all the help.