PDA

View Full Version : Increasing the turnover in my 180

jbanks
09/04/2009, 12:04 PM
I should probably know the answer to this question, but I wanted to throw it out to the team before I excercise any of the ideas that I have.. My 180 has 1 overflow with an 1.5 in drain and a 1.5 in return, which is reduced to 1 in with two outlets(locline). I uses a Reeflo dart, which I have feeding the tank and my NW skimmer.. There isvery little water pressure coming out of the lcoline.. If I turn the flow up too much on the return pump the water level begins to rise fast and, I risk overflowing the tank. Is there an easy way for me to increase the flow so that I can open open up the flow on the return pump a bit more without taking the risk of over-flowing the tank...

Oh, I'd also like to mention that I am using a durso and out of the drain I am running spaflex to a 90 degree elbow and then down into the sump (The sump sits on the floor directly behind the tank in the next room. Could the 90 degree elbow be causing the flow issue?

billdogg
09/04/2009, 12:38 PM
If it were me, I would convert both 1.5" pipes to drains, and bring the return(s) over the top. You will then be able to run your dart wide open without any problems at all.

GlassReef
09/04/2009, 12:42 PM
90 degree elbows aside - your problem is a 1.5" drain can only handle approx. 1300gph in a gravity (Durso) setup. Your Dart is flow rated at 3600gph and, assuming an average head loss situation from sump to tank return, you're probably still moving 2000gph. Those extra 700gals are what's causing your problem.

If doable, billdogg's suggestion would work well.

jbanks
09/04/2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys,

Looks like I have some work to do. Thanks again!

chort55
09/04/2009, 05:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15649243#post15649243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GlassReef
90 degree elbows aside - your problem is a 1.5" drain can only handle approx. 1300gph in a gravity (Durso) setup. Your Dart is flow rated at 3600gph and, assuming an average head loss situation from sump to tank return, you're probably still moving 2000gph. Those extra 700gals are what's causing your problem.

If doable, billdogg's suggestion would work well.

+1, only other thing really would be to add a HOB overflow box if billdogg's suggestion isn't doable... and even still may be needed to open it 100% (probably not, but figured I would mention it just incase).