PDA

View Full Version : sulphur denitrator and 0 nitrates

HndMafia
09/04/2009, 11:34 PM
I've been running a sulphur denitrator since the end of July to fix the nitrate problem in a system I bought used. Nitrates maxxed my seachem test (50ppm) and my api test (160ppm) when I fired up the denitrator. Now my nitrate is 0 and I was wondering if I should take the unit completely off-line. I plan to keep some lps in the future, and from what I've read it seems it is best to have some nitrate for lps corals to thrive. Is this a correct assumption?

I tend to feed a bit heavy as I have a small school of squamipinnis anthias and a Copperband Butterfly that almost didn't make it. The Copperband is fattening up nicely now. My other thought was to pull most of the sulfur media and leave the reactor on to help with the feeding as I don't want to see my fish get skinny again.

waynem
09/05/2009, 03:22 AM
You could take it offline but your nitrates might rise again unless you have fix the part of your system that was causing
the high levels to being with.

tmz
09/05/2009, 08:20 AM
After running the reactor for about a week at 0 nitrates it produced hydrogen sulfide soI took mine off line and dosed a bit of vodka . Nitrates have held at around 2ppm for over 8 months.

bertoni
09/05/2009, 03:33 PM
It's hard to know for sure how the nitrate level will change with the reactor removed. If the feeding level is high enough, it's likely that nitrate will rise, but the only way to tell is to give it a try.

tmz
09/06/2009, 01:14 AM
You can also run it with less sulfur and/or at higher flow to avoid the hydrogen sufide issues that come with nitrate and continuous use of a sulfur denitrator.

tmz
09/06/2009, 01:16 AM
Correction:
I meant to say the hydrogen sulfide issue that comes with 0 nitrate and coninuos use.

HndMafia
09/17/2009, 10:10 AM
keeping an eye on my nitrates, but nothing yet since I took my denitrator offline. I have anthias and a CBB so I don't want to cut back on my feeeding