PDA

View Full Version : How big is too big (angel)?

mattsilvester
09/05/2009, 03:29 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting another angel, maybe 2, for my 240 gal tank. I already have a 7" or so adult (home grown) emporer. I am debating whether to get bigger, or very much smaller specimens......

Generally, I am a believer of getting smaller fish. But if I were to get something bigger, then at what stage is big, too big? The three species I have in mind at the moment are:

1. Navarchus
2. Queen
3. French
4. Maculosus
5. Passer

(not in that order or preference)

Just to stress, I am not talking about getting 5 more angels..... just 2 :)

I figure if I were to get something of size, then it would need to be at least 8" ....... but that is a big fish, maybe too big? I know it can be done, and it is done every day, but my feeling is that small adults are really the biggest that should be imported, generally speaking - from the point of view of aclimatisation etc. and getting them feeding and so on.

Thoughts, comments, etc.?

WuHT
09/05/2009, 04:03 PM
get a french and a queen.. it'll look right even if you get them smaller than the emp.

the french will grow fast if you get it small

and the queen's a tough cookie that can usually hold her own

.. though i've only heard good things about the maculousus (except looks)

mattsilvester
09/05/2009, 04:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15654902#post15654902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WuHT
get a french and a queen.. it'll look right even if you get them smaller than the emp.

the french will grow fast if you get it small

and the queen's a tough cookie that can usually hold her own

.. though i've only heard good things about the maculousus (except looks)

They are the two I'm sort of leaning towards to be honest, and for he reasons you say.

Don't you like the look of the mac? I think they are a very nice looking fish.... different..... imperfect, which is unusual in the angel world where they mostly look like they have been carefully painted..... where as the mac looks like a rouge that's been paint balling :)

WuHT
09/05/2009, 04:34 PM
well it doesn't help that there exists an Asfur angel.. which is hard to deny that it is simply a "better looking" maculosus.

However, on the plus side maculosus seem to grow larger.. kinda like how grey > french and blue > queen.

mattsilvester
09/05/2009, 04:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15655009#post15655009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WuHT
well it doesn't help that there exists an Asfur angel.. which is hard to deny that it is simply a "better looking" maculosus.

That's where we'll just have to agree to disagree :) ...... I honestly think the asfur is the most over rated angel there is..... I find them quite dull and boring, with very little "in your face" personality..... that's all relatively speaking of course.... when I say "dull and boring" I mean for an angel...... they are still a gorgeous fish......

I just think the mac stands out from the crowd....... for both the right, and wrong reasons ;)

yukonblizzard
09/05/2009, 05:54 PM
I aggree with you Matt, the Asfur angel is over rated. I would do the Maculosus angel. I have had one for a little under a year now, and has grown from 2" to about 5"! Maculosus Angels are my favorite angelfish. My second choice would be the French, they arent real colorfull but they have this subtle beauty about them.

tcmfish
09/05/2009, 06:05 PM
I would probably go with the mac, and then either a queen or french. Majestics are cool, but I don't know their personality just doesn't make me like them. Also passers get very mean. They are one of my favorite angels but they are aggressive.

massman
09/05/2009, 06:42 PM
Even though not on your list, I would choose a bueface. Stunning, and have loads of personality IME. Then a majestic.

Emporer, blueface and majestic. Nothing better than that combo! (unless a clarion or clipperton came along :D)

xxtriggermanxx
09/05/2009, 06:57 PM
I have a suggestion that's not on your list as well. have you ever thought about a six bar? one of my favorites and i think extremely under rated.

saltyESQ
09/05/2009, 07:30 PM
why not look into the smaller angels like a goldflake or flagfin?

tcmfish
09/05/2009, 07:39 PM
I also agree with trigger man. But macs and sixbars do get huge.

I also like both of salty's choices too. Goldflakes are sweet fish, and if you ever need yellow it is hard to beat a flagfin. They are comparable to a yellow tang.