PDA

View Full Version : differences between single-ended and double-ended metal halide?

grayson
09/05/2009, 03:46 PM
what's the differences between single ended and double ended MH bulbs? I know there are more bulb choices on the market for single ended MH.any other differences? any efficiency difference?

luther1200
09/05/2009, 04:11 PM
The DE bulbs must have UV shielding glass inbetween them and the tank. SE bulbs don't need it.

IFbettas
09/05/2009, 04:49 PM
I've used both, and like the single end bulbs better. Supposedly DE bulbs put out more light, but then you have to put glass in front of them, so I think that they are about even. In the end it comes down to personal preference for which one to use.

reefrad
09/05/2009, 06:12 PM
all the really nice MH aquariums i have seen were running SE bulbs. i cant explain it though.

Typlus5
09/05/2009, 06:49 PM
Reef Rad, I'm not following your logic on your statement

"all the really nice MH aquariums i have seen were running SE bulbs. i cant explain it though."

I think these MH aquariums are running pretty well on DE bulbs...

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/totm/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-01/totm/index.php

I think it's more of a timing issue when you purchase equipment vs. which MH is really better. Your not comparing T-5, VHO and MH so don't see much of a difference between each type of MH.
Just an opinion though...

luther1200
09/05/2009, 07:21 PM
I agree I have seen awesome tanks with either type of lamp. But the nicest tank I have ever seen runs DE. So it really is all about husbandry and a thousand other things that makes a great tank. 1 lamp type over the other isn't going to be the deciding factor. It may be the factor on which bulbs you can buy buts that about it.

joncohen
09/05/2009, 07:33 PM
I think the design of the light fixture also dictates what type of bulb to use. The slim profile fixtures like Giesemann and Aqua Medic use the DE bulbs. The bulkier dimensions of SE bulbs simply require a bulkier light fixture. If you consider ease of installation, the SE bulbs win. Simply screw it in. Installing and removing DE bulbs can sometimes be a bear. As far as light quality is concerned, I think you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.