PDA

View Full Version : Changing salt brand

rustyjames
09/05/2009, 03:59 PM
Just read the poll on salt brands. I'm in the process switching from IO to reef crystals, I do 5 gallon change a week, started with 1 tablespoon RC the rest IO, increasing 1 tablespoon each week. Am I wasting my time? Has anybody noticed any ill effects in switching salt brand cold turkey?

pmrossetti
09/05/2009, 04:10 PM
Hi c, Not a waste of time, but you could speed it up some. I've used IO and now RC. They're similar, just RC has a little more of the "reef stuff" in it. Gradual is always good, so you'll be fine going as you are or increasing it a little. Best to you. :)

chort55
09/05/2009, 04:14 PM
I switched from Petco brand, to Oceanic to IO in the course of 2 weeks... 0 ill effects IME.... really nothing has changed from when I was using the petco brand though either (ie. no improved colors or growth everything looks the same, and while there is growth there isn't any more then there was w/ the petco stuff lol).

Runfrumu
09/05/2009, 04:42 PM
I just went from Reef crystals back to Instant Ocean. Hopefully my reactor will take care of the alk and calcium part and I'll just add magnesium as I need to.

rustyjames
09/05/2009, 04:47 PM
After reading the comments on that poll, I thinking about just sticking with IO. Haven't had any problems yet, why fix what ain't broke.