PDA

View Full Version : finger dragonet/mother blenny

Snail-po
09/05/2009, 08:31 PM
i have purchased a finger dragonet or as my lfs called it a "mother blenny". ive done the reaserch and it looks as though my tank at its curent sate will suffice. but please anyone give me some more info becuase all sites are vauge. ita large headed madarin with alot of fins and legs, yes legs.

snorvich
09/06/2009, 04:59 AM
It is not clear what fish you purchased. But a finger dragonet is a difficult fish to maintain.

Snail-po
09/06/2009, 08:06 AM
i am almost certain its a finger dragonet, from his fins and the little legs he has. this site makes them sound easier to care for then mandarins because they eat worms and shimp as well as copepods. see link below.

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Finger_Dragonet

snorvich
09/06/2009, 09:06 AM
The picture they supply is indeed a finger dragonet, a gorgeous fish for sure. The website you quoted said:

"Feeding

Keep in a tank with a bed of well-established live sand, possibly with an attached refugium. It will also eat black worms, live brine shrimp, and mysid shrimp. Target feeding is often needed to ensure it gets enough to eat. Use a turkey baster or pipette to direct food toward the fish. Feed three times per day in a tank without live sand.

Aquarium Compatibility

Keep only one per tank and do not house with other small sand-dwelling dragonets. The high dorsal fin is a likely target of fin-nippers.

Notes

To ensure success with this fish, try to avoid tankmates that will gobble up all the appropriate food before the dragonet gets an opportunity to feed. "

And they are accurate but that is not an easy regimen to maintain; your live sand will be depleted soon.

Snail-po
09/06/2009, 09:27 AM
yes, well he is the only fish in the tank that will go after his food source. also i target feed witha turkey baster already so im just gonna feed everyone else first then while there eatng ill shoot a few squirts his way so he gets them. also i have well established rock and sand from much older tanks than mine. does that sound alright?

small alien
09/06/2009, 04:58 PM
turn the flow off for 1/2 to 1 hour after feeding so it has plenty of time to eat. This fish will be A LOT of work. Make sure you're up to it.

Diadado
10/12/2009, 07:23 AM
Any updates on your fish? My husband brought home some fish yesterday, including a "Mother Blenny." It doesn't have any green on it like the picture in the link. It's different shades of brown. Right now he's in QT with the others. Is this fish like other mandarins and not get ich? Does he need QT?

Snail-po
10/15/2009, 06:17 PM
hes doing fine after all this time too, he should be fine i wouldnt quarintine due to lack of copepods

Diadado
10/15/2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for replying. Ours is eating Arcti Pods and mysis/brine in the QT. It cleans the bottom of the tank of any shrimp that the fish miss.