PDA

View Full Version : can i retrofit t5s....

buddy381
09/05/2009, 11:12 PM
i have an older nova T5 setup with 4 bulbs.....it only has 1 reflector....i know individual reflectors are way better, so the question is.....can i add individual reflectors? I have seen reflectors, but will they work on my nova setup?

uncleof6
09/06/2009, 01:10 AM
I don't have a nova setup in front of me, however.... IceCap reflectors (good quality) are 2.5" wide, and mount to the T5 lamp with clips. Mounted, the top of the reflector is ~ 3/4" above the center line of the lamp. So if you have ~ 1" clearance between the lamp, and the current reflector, 2.5" between the lamps, (center line to centerline), and 1.25" between the outer lamps, and the fixture housing, you can mount the IceCap reflectors without modifying the fixture.

Aquactinics reflectors are 2" wide, however, I am not sure on the mounting of them, or other clearances.

I figure it is fairly safe to say that, yes you can do this-- if you have the necessary clearance inside the fixture...... this mod would make a mediocre fixture into a much better performer, and then you would want to consider adding active cooling. (IIRC the nova fixture lacks this)

Regards,

Jim

buddy381
09/06/2009, 07:19 AM
thank you...by active cooling do you mean a fan? The nova fixture that i have does have a fan built in.