PDA

View Full Version : A must watch for all aquarists!

sltloser
09/06/2009, 01:44 AM
Is the great barrier reef on death row? (watch it)

http://royalsociety.org/page.asp?id=3093#

After watching this i believe that everyone here will agree that something needs to be done to help our oceans.

Snakebyt
09/06/2009, 02:00 AM
tagging to watch when i have time

Imzadi
09/06/2009, 07:25 AM
Oceans, forests, wetlands, drylands... Earth and Sky.

We are the Aiptasia of this planet, and someone needa buy a few Peppermint Shrimps... good post.

I think most of the people in this hobby, in particular, are pretty aware of the plight of the Reef... I think, for the most part, we are eco-friendly type being that we try to understand what is good for our little captive friends... but stuff like that shows not everyone is.

luther1200
09/06/2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for posting. It was informative. I really hope that we can do something to help the reefs. I couldn't even imagine a world with no reefs in as little as 50-75 years.

Playa-1
09/06/2009, 08:39 PM
I think the GBR is just one of the many symptoms of a much bigger problem. If our kids and grandkids live thru it, then I'm sure they will not appreciate our poor stewardship of the environment. Hind sight being 20/20, I don't think people will be willing to give up cheap energy and oil related products until it's too late to turn back. I was watching a show on the History Channel yesterday and they were saying that we have the most Carbon in our Atmosphere in 40,000,000 years. Global warming has the potential to do our civilization in and currently the people don't take it very seriously. There's so much misinformation out there from greedy special interests that it's hard to get a real perspective of how serious the issue really is.

It kinda reminds me of all the misinformation a noob has to wade thru on Reef Central to get to useful information. At least on RC you don't have as much media time spent trying to divert your attention from the truth.