PDA

View Full Version : chaeto

goochesfish
09/06/2009, 08:20 AM
I don't get why my chaeto is not growing. I've changed the bulbs and changed the flow. Arcording to Salifert my nitrates are 25

aquaman67
09/06/2009, 08:42 AM
What's your light cycle?

Are you running 24 hours or do you have a dark period?

I've found chaeto grows better for me with a dark period.

noahm
09/06/2009, 10:06 AM
Is there anything that could be eating it? Also, I noticed that without a good sized chunk to start with, it really doesn't grow fast. You have to imagine that a baseball sized piece doubled in volume is barely any bigger in the amount of chaeto, while a football sized chunk doubled is quite a few baseball sized chunks more. I have heard that it can double in 2-4 weeks, normally. Mine is a bit slower.

ludnix
09/06/2009, 10:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15657861#post15657861 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by noahm
Is there anything that could be eating it? Also, I noticed that without a good sized chunk to start with, it really doesn't grow fast. You have to imagine that a baseball sized piece doubled in volume is barely any bigger in the amount of chaeto, while a football sized chunk doubled is quite a few baseball sized chunks more. I have heard that it can double in 2-4 weeks, normally. Mine is a bit slower.

I disagree, the chaeto doesn't care how much of it there is, you can easily have a large amount not grow just as you would a small amount. At least if the small amount dies or melts you're putting less nutrients in the tank than a large amount.

Shane Hoffman
09/06/2009, 12:26 PM
Your not dosing vodka, are you???