PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Coralvue Lumen Bright reflector?

ryddo
09/06/2009, 09:21 AM
I am considering purchasing the coralvue lumen bright mini for my new setup. What are the positives and negatives of these?

Ryan

diciple
09/06/2009, 10:02 AM
I sold mine couldnt take the stop sign look,to remove the glass to put bulb in is a cluster ,but they are popular and work well hope that helps,ooh check out Hamiltons site on here they have some nice looking,pendaNTS AND REFLECTORS.

mikeatjac
09/06/2009, 12:55 PM
I love mine and you only have 4 screws to change a bulb. No big deal.

Macimage
09/07/2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by diciple
I sold mine couldnt take the stop sign look..

Do you mean the light spread in your tank?

If so, how high did you have them hung?

I was considering these.

Thanks for any info!

danjen10
09/07/2009, 06:39 PM
I just bought 3. They will be here later this week. They are not the traditional rectangle but they are good for the tank. :)

I think the finished ones look fine.

Check out reefspecialty.com

grigsy
09/07/2009, 07:22 PM
+1 Check out the new reflectors from Hamilton.

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/index.php?task=show&cat=Reflectors

I am running a couple of their Cayman Sun reflectors and am very happy with them.

I tested it with an Apogee Par meeter versus the SLS Lumen Max 3 with same bulbs and same ballasts - the Cayman Sun reflector puts off higher PAR ratings.

Macimage
09/07/2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by grigsy
+1 Check out the new reflectors from Hamilton.

Those new Hamilton reflectors look very good, as they have built-in moonlights. How high should they be run off the water?

One nice thing I like about the Lumen Brites is that they are raised 14"-16" above the tank which gives you good access and cuts down on heat transfered to the tank.

Thanks!
Joyce

Macimage
09/07/2009, 07:57 PM
ooops, double post!

nesto719
09/08/2009, 04:50 PM
i am interested in the hamiltons myself .

IFbettas
09/08/2009, 05:11 PM
I am using 3 of these reflectors, and I love them. They put so much more light in the tank than the regular reflectors I was using before. I'm going to buy 2 more of them to light another tank I have.

I would definately get them if you want to go with halides.

Macimage
09/08/2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by IFbettas
I am using 3 of these reflectors, and I love them. They put so much more light in the tank than the regular reflectors I was using before. I'm going to buy 2 more of them to light another tank I have.

I would definately get them if you want to go with halides.

Are you posting about the Lumen Brights or Hamiltons?

Thanks!
Joyce

ryddo
09/08/2009, 06:51 PM
Thank you all for the information. My last question. Besides the dimensions what is the difference between the mini and regular?

danjen10
09/08/2009, 07:23 PM
I recommend that you call Mike at reefspecialty.com. He can walk you through all the specifics. I think the main difference is just size. The mini's are 16" across and the regular ones are 20"

There are also mini-wides.

bigfalcon36
09/08/2009, 07:25 PM
I have two of the pendants for double ended HQI bulbs. They're great for the moeny and my SPS are responding well to them.

200mfromocean
09/08/2009, 08:23 PM
I just switched from Lumenamx 3 to LB mini's becasue my galaxy ballast crapped out on me after 3 months. The LB put the light straight down and around with less shadows around my SPS corals directly below the refelectors(LB). THe Lumenmax 3 seem to spread the light more evenly toward the sides of the tank.

The cozumel sun looks interesting. They ddid a combo of smooth aluminum and dimpled aluminum. The dimples are supposed to be better for spread and smooth for par/hot spots. May be nice for someone who can't make up their mind.

zachtos
09/09/2009, 02:09 PM
lumen brite review (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/review/index.php) - I read positive things about them and will be installing these shortly w/ 400W reeflux bulbs and coralvue e ballasts.

The large version is supposed to be for tanks 24-36" wide, while the small version is better for 24" wide and under (more focused 2'x2' area I guess).

ryddo
09/09/2009, 06:19 PM
That is what I thought. Thanks for all the information.

Ebob954
09/09/2009, 07:01 PM
I just puchased two lumen bright mini for my frag tank. I bought them from reefexotics. I want to run 14k radium bulbs. So i have to go with the single ended pendant. I hear you dont need the uv glass with single ended bulbs but the pendant i bought comes with uv glass. Will this shade the light too much with the glass?

200mfromocean
09/10/2009, 08:10 AM
I donnot think you have much to worry about. MArc Melv AKA melevs reef did some testing with glass and SE pendants