PDA

View Full Version : Rock Advice?

adamhill
09/06/2009, 10:59 AM
Anyone have any advice on how to obtain some nice live rock? I have been out of the hobby for a couple of years and things seemed to have changed on the “rock scene”. I understand there has been a ban on Marshall, Tonga, and Cook islands.

What is available now? What is perceived as the best? I am sure I will get many opinions on this but I would love to get some insight from everyone as to why they like a particular type, vendor, etc.

I am setting up an 80 gallon tank and I have it all ready to go except I am having trouble trying to find anything that looks good or even close to being worth its price. The LFS (3) in the area has just horrible stuff and I am not sure where it comes from and they act like they don’t know either. They say it’s a “mixture” and their stock is generally low. Which I know is BS. So, I am hesitant to have them order for me without really seeing what I would get first…

Any help?

I am looking for some good porous rock.

PRDubois
09/06/2009, 11:17 AM
Pacanni is probally the best.

Good deals here:
http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=69&HS=1

100%hydrophylic
09/06/2009, 11:30 AM
alot of people have suggested buying from local reefers.

PRDubois
09/06/2009, 11:38 AM
Craigs list is usually a good place to get some fiji, tonga, etc..

Poeticlydead
09/06/2009, 12:28 PM
Options

1) order them from a quality online supplier like http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=393

2) diy your own rock and cure it with a small piece purchased from another hobbiest or LFS

3) buy some live rock from your LFS if they get something you like, buy a large piece and cut it down or just mix a couple of small live pieces with some macro

I simply watched my local fish stores and bought what ever came in that I like the look of since as you mentioned it is hard to find the origin of rocks these days unless purchased online.

adamhill
09/06/2009, 12:40 PM
Pacanni... I couldn't find it on the link... I will do some searching for it...

Craigslist... Never thought of that... I will check it out... I am in the Memphis TN area... Anyone know of anyone local maybe to check in to?

arredondojason
09/06/2009, 02:28 PM
+1 on the marcorocks.com great price and includes shipping takes a little longer to cycle but you save a ton of money on rocks.
i bought from him for my 240 gallon tank and the stuff looks great well worth the money.

sedor
09/06/2009, 02:33 PM
I got all of my live rock from craigslist. The one downside to this is usually the person you are getting it from doesn't know anything about it. If you buy from a reputable online dealer they will be able to tell you all sorts of info on it, like where it came from if its cured bla bla.

Anything you buy will have to be cured most likely though unless you are starting a new tank with it. In that case just toss it on in.

RealReef7
09/06/2009, 03:17 PM
You can use dry rock and seed it? Alot cheaper and the end result is very identical.

adamhill
09/06/2009, 05:58 PM
Marcorocks has "African Razi" displayed on their site. The pictures look pretty heavy and dense. They do have great color though. They probably have the best pic displayed. Does anyone have any experience with African rock? Is it very porous?

I am thinking of mixing my rok 50/50 with dry and "cured" to get a jump start and save a little cash.

arredondojason
09/06/2009, 06:10 PM
i would go all dry with a little cured and just let it cycle itself you would save alot more money and the key largo is what i used in my tank and the stuff is light and very porous it is awsome stuff and way cheaper then getting all that cured rock. plus with dry rock you dont have to worry about adding any bad hitchhikers.

tat2shawn
09/06/2009, 09:46 PM
Saving money is always a nice thing. I made some of my own rock and saved a bunch of money. After a while being seeded you'll never know the difference!

jimnrose
09/07/2009, 10:52 AM
How does Marco Rock compare the Tampa Bay Rock? I'm also setting up a new (125g) tank and have a lot of dry rock.Looking for seed rock. Jim

arredondojason
09/07/2009, 02:56 PM
marcorock.com is great for dry rock never bought any live from there. i would just go to your LFS and 2 or 3 rocks that you like to seed the tank with it.

jimnrose
09/07/2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the advise on a LFS but I'm in Florida about 1.5 hours from Tampa Bay and was guessing I could hand pick good rocks, if they have a good reputation. Jim

wdt2000
09/07/2009, 04:29 PM
I love the dry rock I purchased from Tampa Bay Saltwater

arredondojason
09/07/2009, 04:49 PM
ok did not know you were that close i had to order mine i live in up state ny right now and am deployed to afganistan so really had no other option on that one i can not wait to get home and stock my tank. its only been cycling for 7 months lol.i think i should be ok with that cycle.

ludiNano
09/07/2009, 05:08 PM
I got the Dry Marco rock ( Fiji) when they still had it, and love it. The new Calcium Carbonate rock, looks the same as the old Fiji stuff.

SaltieG
09/07/2009, 05:12 PM
I just bought 50 lbs of live and 50 lbs of dry rock from a rock dealer on ebay and the quality and life on them is nothing short of impressive.

chort55
09/07/2009, 05:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15658124#post15658124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
alot of people have suggested buying from local reefers.

+1 Around here it often goes for $2/lb or less even sometimes.

kev24k
09/07/2009, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15664648#post15664648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltieG
I just bought 50 lbs of live and 50 lbs of dry rock from a rock dealer on ebay and the quality and life on them is nothing short of impressive.

What is the sellers name on ebay?

ducktales
09/07/2009, 10:01 PM
for Marco's dry precycled key Largo rocks, do I need to cycle them? I plan on using them for a new tank setup. Can I just throw them in with LR from a LFS and start the cycle?

Marco67
09/12/2009, 04:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15666450#post15666450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ducktales
for Marco's dry precycled key Largo rocks, do I need to cycle them? I plan on using them for a new tank setup. Can I just throw them in with LR from a LFS and start the cycle?

Yes,
Pre Cycled only means that we have cycled/ cleaned the rock in our systems until it's free of organic material that will slow your cycle.

(don't forget the term "cycle" refers to both getting rid of the unwanted excess organic material and to building beneficial life)

good luck with the new tank
Marc