PDA

View Full Version : Seahorses w/ clownfish and fireshrimp

FishGuy5
09/06/2009, 12:55 PM
Getting ready to stock my 50 gallon corral. LA says that it's OK to put Occ. Clowns as tankmates w/ seahorses. What do you all think? Also would like to add a fireshrimp-local store has a nice size one that is deep red. Good/bad idea? TIA

pledosophy
09/06/2009, 05:31 PM
I say go for it on the fire shrimp, but no on the clowns.

IME with the clowns they are fine when they are small but get to a point where they stake out there turf and defend it pretty well. My clowns draw blood from my fingers when I work on the tank if I don't trap them first. It's just bad stuff waiting to happen. I do love my clowns though so I understand the temptation, that is why I have two tanks. Clowns are really a lot of fun to watch if they have an anemone as well and that is just not doable with the horsies.

JMO

rayjay
09/06/2009, 05:35 PM
Most fish, including clowns, will eat the food before the timid seahorse can get any.
Often, even the movement of a fast moving fish can stress them so they don't eat.
I lost a cleaner shrimp to my Reidi's when they worked together and pulled it apart to eat smaller pieces.
For best chances of success with seahorses, stick to a dedicated tank where you can keep the temperature 74°F or a bit lower as seahorses are VERY susceptible to bacterial infestations.
Bacterial infestations increase exponentially. especially above the 74°.

laurarca
09/08/2009, 03:04 PM
I have a dedicated seahorse tank and find that sometimes the hermit crabs beat out the horses on the frozen mysis!! I do have a fire shrimp and he comes out real quick at feeding time, but only takes a shrimp or 2. You need a great clean up crew for horses...they miss alot :-)