PDA

View Full Version : 90 gal aga overflow mods?

jck9
09/06/2009, 07:45 PM
i would like to cut down my overflow to just below the teeth. like a toothless overflow. i think it would give it more surface area since the water would overflow across the whole thing not just the front. anyone done this? problem i have is that the tank is set up already. i know i could use a dremel but dont want to get plastic shavings in the tank. i was thinking maybe a hot knife? think that would work?

kgross
09/06/2009, 08:33 PM
I have done this a couple of times. The overflow works much better without the teeth in my opinion. I used a dremel myself, the little bits of plastic will not hurt anything in the tank, but I think a hot knife should work well also, other than you will have to make sure you drain the water level down low enough to keep it from cooling the knife.

uncleof6
09/06/2009, 08:45 PM
Using a dremel, or electric hot knife in a running tank sounds like a candidate for a Darwin award, if you ask me. Drain the water down regardless.

Jim

Tschupe
09/06/2009, 11:16 PM
I'm starting my first tank and it's a 90 gal aga. Do you guys recommend i cut down the overflow?

jck9
09/07/2009, 05:44 AM
i was planning on draining the water down. just didnt want to take the tank apart. im no genius but im not an idiot either. lol