PDA

View Full Version : RO membrane clogging

IndyReefMan
09/07/2009, 08:40 AM
Russ,

I had a DOW filmtec 50 gpd RO membrane that only lasted about 6 months before it clogged up. I know it clogged because when I removed the membrane, water flowed out of the membrane housing nicely. I have a booster pump that I run at 85psi, so I know water pressure is not the problem. Furthermore, flushing around the flow restrictor hasn't helped either. I replaced it with another DOW filmtec 50gpd and this one clogged after only 1.5 months (I sanitized the system before I installed it and replaced the sediment filter and carbon block). What am I doing wrong? I'm soaking the membrane in 1:1 vinegar/RO water right now and a mucus like substance is coming off of it.

Thanks, Mike

Buckeye Hydro
09/07/2009, 09:14 AM
Hi Mike. When you first pull a clogged membrane out of your system, tell me about what you see. Does it smell bad? Slimey? Coated with red/orange deposits or slime?

Are you on city water?

What is your waste to permeate ratio (while the membrane is still working well)?

Russ

IndyReefMan
09/07/2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, Russ. When I pulled the membrane out of the housing, it didn't look or smell unusual at all (no red or orange deposits and it didn't seem slimey). But, soaking in vinegar/water, I see lots of slime coming out. I am on City water with input TDS around 300 or so. Waste to permeate ratio was 3:1 when the membrane was new. I don't know what it is now with the membrane clogged, bit I'm only getting about 1 drop every 5 seconds into my reservoir.

IndyReefMan
09/07/2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your help on the phone this AM, Russ. I'll continue to soak the membrane and let you know if that works.

Mike

IndyReefMan
09/09/2009, 04:17 PM
Russ,

Soaking the membrane in vinegar/RO definitely helped, but water production is still not close to what it should be. I ordered a new membrane and I'm going to run my water softner in front of it now. That should do the trick. Thanks again.

Mike

Buckeye Hydro
09/09/2009, 09:53 PM
OK. Good deal.

Russ