PDA

View Full Version : Kole Tang...What do they eat

messina06
09/07/2009, 09:58 AM
I have a Kole tang and have yet to see him eat anything except constantly picking at the live rock and sides of the tank. I have place dry seaweed (forgot the name) on a clip but havent seen him eat it, jsut my fire and coral beauty angel. I recently bought som elive brine and didnt eat any.

I have formula 2 but he doesnt eat that as well.

Is it normal for them to just pick at the rocks?

Lunchbucket
09/07/2009, 10:53 AM
They are bristle tooth tangs and will pick a lot. Mine did decide to eat nori (dried seaweed but I had to rubber band it to a rock and put it on the bottom. He then figured it out. Never saw him eat prepared meaty foods IIRC. But yes they are pickers. Try training yours to eat nori.

Lunchbucket

sminker
09/07/2009, 11:02 AM
give him some time. mine eats everything i put in the tank.

insanefishguy
09/07/2009, 05:56 PM
I took mine about a two weeks to start picking at the food I was adding to the tank and about a month and a half to warm up to the nori on a clip. Now the fat pig will eat anything that floats past its line of sight.

Lunchbucket
09/07/2009, 08:45 PM
They do seem to be a shy tang

1DeR9_3Hy
01/05/2010, 02:35 PM
Bringing this back from the dead...

I was at a LFS today looking for a new addition (we will call it window shopping since i didnt want to buy anything, just look) and i seen a 3-4" kole that was constantly picking at a dead fish that was under a rock. Is this normal for them to scavenge like that? Or is that kole the odd ball?

nanojg
01/05/2010, 03:32 PM
My kole tang ate EVERYTHING. I would say his favorite meals were scoly's and acan's...he got evicted after about an hour of fighting my net off.

stubby 58
01/05/2010, 05:23 PM
I have one and he is a work horse . Watched him at the LFS for 2wks he was always working . Picked it up, put it in QT, cleaned that tank up in 1wk, took a couple pieces of LR and put them in QT tank for a 2wk period . Had to move it to DT after that it would not eat anything . It now eats what ever falls into tank and still works the glass and rocks . Fat as a pig it is .

stubby

reindan
01/06/2010, 12:19 AM
Mine also eats anything i put in the tank. At first it was just the hair algae and then any algae on the rocks and glass. Couple weeks later he noticed the clowns and bangaii eating the mysis and that was all it took. Now he's at the front of the line anytime I come near the tank with ANY type of food.