PDA

View Full Version : Acclimating tank to new lights

Nereaga
09/07/2009, 07:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Upgraded my lights from the 36'' NEP, 234w, after a tank upgrade to a 48'' Outer Orbit 2-150w Mh and 4 Gieseman 54w T5's. I had a 50g breeder before and now I have an Oceanic 75g RR tank. I got a hanging kit with the fixture that it fully adjustable to any height. I am now running the fixture on the top of the tank with only the T5's running.

How high should I start the fixture off to not burn corals with the 10k Mh's? 15''? 20''? Higher? I can lower it weekly to slowly adjust everything after that.

Let me hear your thoughts! TIA

Brad

Toadally
09/07/2009, 09:21 PM
Brad, I'm going through an upgrade right now. What I did was go to Lowe's and bought a piece of eggcrate (lighting grid) and cut it to fit the top of my tank. I then cut five pieces of window screen to fit over the top and have been taking a piece off about every four or five days. This should help with the acclimating process. HTH!

Nereaga
09/08/2009, 06:11 PM
Well I have hung the lights 9'' off the tank, about 11'' off the water. I have added 3 pieces of window screen, which REALLY cuts down of the lights. The 4-54w T5s barely get through it. Should work for a few days and then remove one and so on.

Thanks!

Brad