PDA

View Full Version : "Brown Jelly disease"-Please help

TheDarkness
09/08/2009, 09:19 PM
I'm sure this isn't the first time someone has posted about the horrible days in which "brown jelly diesease" has brought tragedy to ones very own reef. I started noticing this on one of my frogspawns about 3 days ago, i thought i could just suck siphon off the jelly substance and it would go away...wrong. It started spreading to others, i should have fragged off the dead heads but at this point it was too late. All of my frogspawn ( about 30 heads) are all losing tissue at a constant rate untill today. I researched and found that there are dosing solutions that you can dip your corals in to kill parasites and what not. I bought "seachem reef dip" and followed the instructions and dipped all my frogspawn even if they were still holding on into the 1 gallon bucket for 10 minutes. This was at 2pm today and when i put them back in the tank all the jelly was gone but obviously the corals were still in horrible condition. I just got home and its 8 hours from the dip, the disease looks like its stabalizing but i can see some jelly forming again on the corals, not on all of them. My nitrates, nitrites, phosphates are all at 0, ph is around 8.0-8.4(ph was once at 7.4 when i checked it 3 days ago, i think thats how all this may have started), calcium is around 420, ammonia-0...The tank is a 40 gallon with 50 g sump, it has only been running for 1-1/2 -2 months but I used all existing water and rock from my 75 reef. The corals were added 1 month after i set it up (they were housed at a friends for a month) and were doing absolutely fantastic for around 2 weeks...then 3 days ago this started.

I guess im wondering what I should do next? What is the max amount of times you can dip your corals in the reef dip? Can I just keep dipping once a day or what? Any suggestions or comments or ANYTHING will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks you much!:rollface:

TheDarkness
09/09/2009, 12:07 AM
Anyone?

SharkMaster
09/17/2009, 05:35 PM
Do you have UV sterilizer?

SharkMaster
09/17/2009, 05:42 PM
I will tell about my experience hopefully it will be useful. I have 72 gal tank and after 3 months i have started experiments with corals. I have only green lather coral and goniopora (steel green) which seems to be one of more difficult coral to maintain. A week ago coral felt from rock on the bottom while I was at work and brown jelly attack the damage site of the coral. My water condition are good the only thing I'm fighting still are nitrates (as of now 5 ppm). The jelly is an infection, it has to be removed... few steps how to do it (not in tank you will spread the disease on other corals)... ..... ....

SharkMaster
09/17/2009, 05:49 PM
.... I both the KENT MARINE Tech - D for infection, one of most important ingredients is Iodine, they suggest to put tea spoon on 950 mln of water, make the solution in separate convenient container to fit coral in it easily. You can keep the coral in this solution no longer than 6 min. But before you will out it in, use white gloves, take coral out of aquarium keep it in your hand, use a small paint (clean never used brush, the smallest u can buy) clean the coral with water from container from the infected tissue. Now the new thing not recommended by the KENT what ever i try it. I have took the kent solution and spell directly on the infected area (just the bath in solution was not effective for me) I keep the coral with 100% on the wound for about 4 - 5 min andding every one minute....

SharkMaster
09/17/2009, 05:52 PM
If some part of the coral is infected i will be death anyway, so you have to kill the disease in 100% to save remaining parts of the coral. After 5 min of this treatment put coral into container and keep it in there for next 6 min use brush to clean it from remaining death tissue.

After that use water from aquarium and rise the coral over the sink, them out into aquarium expose the previous cleaned are directly in front of the power head for couple of minutes, after that move coral so safe location when it was before...

SharkMaster
09/17/2009, 05:55 PM
If the brown jelly disease return after 24hr repeat the treatment. I have successfully cured my goniopora after three days, check coral more often twice a day to maintain good health in your tank.

Brown jelly is history for me... wish you the best with your corals,

SharkMaster
09/17/2009, 06:14 PM
In Summary:
Goniopara treatment:

Tools and chemical,
- one small container,
- Small clean paint brush (new – rinse with fresh water)
- KENT MARINE – Tech –D (Expert Series)
- White latex free gloves.

1. Make the solution in the container using Kent tech –D and water from aquarium accordingly with Kent instructions.
2. Put on white gloves
3. Take out coral from the aquarium hold in hand over the small container.
4. Use the small brush and start cleaning coral from death tissue using some 100% Kent Tech – D solution only on the infected area.
5. Then spill 100% Kent Solution directly from bottle into the wound ( the death or infected tissue has to be cleaned other way the infection will return)
6. Hold the coral all the time outside over the small container repeat the number 5 couple time about 4 -5 min.
7. After that put coral into small container and clean it with the small brush only the infected area.
8. After 6 min of bath no longer take out coral and rinse over the sing using aquarium tank water.
9. Put the coral into aquarium, in front of the power head, expose the infected area directly into power head flow. Strong flow will remove death and disinfected tissue.
10. after 4-5 min put the coral into permanent location in the tank.
11. Check coral every 12h if the infection will return after 24 repeat the treatment until you succeed.
12. My goniopora was 100% cured after 2 treatments, in 3 days after treatment is nice and healthy again.

Good lock…

tufacody
09/17/2009, 06:30 PM
If you truly have brown jelly disease, I STRONGLY suggest you immediately QT it, and frag off any healthy pieces. It is probably the nastiest and quickest death of an LPS coral you can experience.

vegaskid11
11/30/2009, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by TMZ:
"The protozoan infection moves rapidly into good tissue. If it blows around the tank and lands on healthy coral it will often infect a helathy specimen . Many euphyllia get this after bag confinement and shipping. It usually initiates at the site of a wound or injury.Iodine dips like tmpc or lugols help. Fragging off infected heads is a good idea"......

This is a major problem for me right now. I have been battling this problem for about a year and a half. I initially thought my tangs were eating on my euphylias but have determined that they will only pick on the dead tissue once infection sets in. I have lost probably a hundred and fifty heads of euphylia ranging from frogspawn to hammmers and torch.

I have kept all sorts of euphylia for years prior with no issues. I think I must have brought in a new specimen at some point and perhaps the infection at the same time. The coral head will start dying and will quickly spread to surrounding heads. Once fragged and relocated in display (300 gallon) it will recover and be very healthy and then out of no where the infection will set in. I have been doing this for over a year now and it keeps happening.

I know its not water params as all of my other corals are thriving including many sps colonies. Also, once the skeleton has died off, I drop the dead branch behind my rock work on the bottom and all of those dead euphylia skeltons now have literally hundreds of baby starts on them. Its really strange, if it was water chemistry then how would all of these branches be spawning so many starts.

I have stopped buying euphylias and will see how this pans out. I just lost the last of a super nice 6 head torch this weekend. The piece has been losing like one head every month. As soon as I see the infection start I would frag it dip it and move it to a new location only to have it start again later.

If I end up losing all of the heads then perhaps keeping the tank clean of euphylias for a while will allow the bacteria to die out.