PDA

View Full Version : old tank syndrome - can it be reversed?

kvosstra
09/09/2009, 10:47 AM
Hi folks,

well - the time has come and my wife and I are planning on starting a family, so my large tank is going to be moved from its current location into a new room.

While I do this, I would like to completely redo the aquascaping as well as removing all aiptasia and other pests that may, or may not be present anymore (I had planaria and possibly some other flatworms at some point in the past).

I got really busy with work about 9 months ago, and the tank suffered, all SPS lost a lot of color, and I have had almost no growth at all on many of my large colonies. I think this is due in part to high nutrients, but also poor waterflow in the tank. (aside...I think waterflow is highly under represented in the issues faced in SPS tanks...I have a smaller 40 gallon SPS tank that thrives and I think this is due to the shocking amount of water movement that goes through that tank).

So, while I do this, I would like to "recharge" my rock to get rid of all the crap that is on there, (especially aiptasia), and to remove some large colonies from their bases and rework them into the new tank design.

here's how the tank looked about 9 months ago
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/3255454079_086ae402a1.jpg

So, my question is - what is the best way to "recharge" the rock and sand. by that, I mean, I want to get all the detritus out of the rock so it stops leaching phosphates, etc.
(1) Should I bleach the rock - literally put some of it into a light bleach solution and the soak for 30 days
(2) soak it in vinegar
(3) spray off with power washer
(4) just remove and clean the sand (do I also soak the sand in vinegar, or will just a rinse with old saltwater work?)
(5) other ideas?

Finally, I am planning on cutting off about 1/2 of my colonies from their rocks, and then re positioning them using some acrylic rods - and drilling a thin hole into the base of what ever I keep of the coral, then re-attaching to the rock. I think this will allow me to better position the corals, since now, I just have piles of rocks that look terrible (I think).

Also, when the corals are cut off, I will be doing a preventative dip for AEFW and other parasites...I know that in a trade some time in the past 9 months I found some on a coral that came in...I later found a few more on a nearby coral and so I am afraid that Some may still be present, helping the corals turn brown each day. I now keep a Frag tank where I dip all frags 4 times before selling them - just as a precaution.

Ok - I know...long post - let me know what you think.

Billybeau1
09/09/2009, 12:04 PM
While you may get a few opinions here, you may get much better advice in the SPS keepers forum. I'm sure many of them have been through what you are about to do.

Good luck. :)

HighlandReefer
09/09/2009, 02:34 PM
Regarding the rock and sand:

1) Throughly clean with water as much debris as possible.
2) Soak in a 10% bleach solution for 24 hrs.
3) Clean with water and remove any organic matter.
4) If still not clean, repeat the bleach for another 24 hrs. Bleach will brake down in 24 hrs, so you will need to repeat if necessary. This process will kill any living creaters.
5) Remove any remnants of bleach with a de-chlorinating agent like Amquel.
6) Soak in vinegar to remove heavy metals and phoshate. You may want to repeat this again also. I forget the dilution rate for the vinegar. ;)
7) Soak in water several times to remove vinegar or it will cause bacterial blooms in the tank.

kvosstra
09/09/2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks Highland -

That's what I was looking for - Some through process to ensure that I get clean new rock.

I will still keep a few pieces that are clean (from other tanks) - and re-seed the tank to revitalize the life.

Ill post some before an after pictures to this or a new thread to document the process. I'm still about a month away, but I want to plan appropriately.

-Kyle

HighlandReefer
09/09/2009, 03:04 PM
Your welcome.

Good luck. ;)