PDA

View Full Version : Nighttime Polyp Extension

badewilly
09/10/2009, 09:35 AM
I seen a few threads on PE but I still have not found an answer to my question so I thought I would post. I have noticed that my acros seems to really have excellent PE at night but little to no extension during the day. Growth is fine and almost all are either encrusting or growing new branches. Now I do have to mention I have one angel in the tank "Rusty Angelfish" could it be that one angelfish can cause this to almost all my SPS in a 150 gal tank with over 30 acros colonies/frags? Is there anything else besides the angel that could cause great nighttime PE and little to no PE during the day?

mavjoy
09/10/2009, 10:04 AM
I got the same problem and I think it's my Flame Angelfish is the reason why I don't have any PE during the day. All my SPS are growing and all parms are good. Have you seen the angelfish picking on your corals?

StephenInVa
09/10/2009, 11:51 AM
A buddy of mine had angels in his display but said he never saw them nip at his corals. I repeatedly told him they were the cause for his lack of polyp extension during the day. He finally removed the angels and it solved the problem.

badewilly
09/11/2009, 09:24 AM
Ok so I sat down in front of the tank and watched what was going the "Rusty" was going on casually picking at rocks and then "surprise" I saw him nipping at my sps bouncing around from colony to colony just nipping. Makes me mad cause I had him out at one point and I put him back in. I guess I'm going fishing my fish trap tonight. Thanks guys i really didnt think one angel could cause so much drama.

jbird69
09/11/2009, 03:22 PM
I have an acro colony that acts like that. I definitly dont have any fish that nip.

tastingSalty
09/11/2009, 06:54 PM
I also have an acro that will have no polyp extension during the day and great PE at night. As a generality, most SPS will greatly extend their polyps after the lights are out.

divewsharks
09/11/2009, 09:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15687331#post15687331 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tastingSalty
I also have an acro that will have no polyp extension during the day and great PE at night. As a generality, most SPS will greatly extend their polyps after the lights are out.

this is very true. while for some folks it could be a nipping fish; for many others it can just be the particular coral. with no photosynthesis going on at night, they extend their polys for feeding -- which is why alot of people feed various coral foods after the lights go out.

sjfishguy
09/11/2009, 09:27 PM
I can almost assure you its the angel. I had a coral beauty for 1.5 years and NEVER saw him nip at a coral. Model citizen as far as I was concerned. Had terrible PE during the day and great PE at night. Great health and growth of the corals. When I set up my new tank I got rid of him thinking that was the only other factor that could be causing the poor PE. The PE in my tank is incredible now, I will never add another angel again.

Kubi
09/12/2009, 05:24 AM
Think about it on an natural reef you will never see any PE out on sps's during day because all the nippers are out. That is a natural setting. I personally experienced and I am sure for those who dive have also experienced this.

I have 5 multicolor angles in an sps's tank and my PE is zero during the day except for the milli's. I have great color and growth. So the bottom line is can you live without PE? If so keep your angel if not sell it or give it away.

It is a myth that they will kill your sps's. They like to pick at the slim the coral produces and if anyone ever said it killed there sps chance are that it was not a healthy coral and it was on its way out. The the picking by the angel just helped it along.

Charlie Davidson
09/12/2009, 06:05 AM
I have 2 tanks connected to same water system, the tank with only 1 small tang in it has Awsome PE (ORA blue Tort looks like milli) and much better growth.
I am happy with other tank also.. Whats a tank without fish :)

badewilly
09/15/2009, 01:24 PM
Kubi I never thought about it that way and it makes sense. So as far as everyone is concerned there is nothing else that would cause poor PE during the day.

Charlie Davidson
09/15/2009, 01:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15688951#post15688951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Charlie Davidson
I have 2 tanks connected to same water system, the tank with only 1 small tang in it has Awsome PE (ORA blue Tort looks like milli) and much better growth.
I am happy with other tank also.. Whats a tank without fish :)

:D Sorry, I guess I my not have been to clear, my tank with fish has less PE during the day and the tank with only one very small (1") tang has awesome PE day and night. Corals also grow faster..