PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a protein skimmer and powerheads?

smokey377
09/10/2009, 10:54 PM
I have a 46 ga bow tank and wondering about a protein skimmer, and powerheads.

Can anyone recommend good powerheads and skimmer that won't break the bank.

I'm also wondering about the protein skimmer, my friend what is helping me set up the tank is telling me i won't need one that my filter, sand bed, and live rock will be all that i need is this true?

PRDubois
09/10/2009, 10:56 PM
Look at the octopus line. If you do not have a sump they have some nice HOB filters.

As far as powerheads get 2 Korella 3's

mal1099
09/10/2009, 11:09 PM
Id say Skimmer is a must for a tank. Korella are cheap but vortechs own butt if you can afford them.

sedor
09/10/2009, 11:09 PM
+1 on both those suggestions. And no you technically don't need a skimmer but it makes things a whole lot easier! If you ever get into any advanced livestock such as SPS, clams, or aggressive fish you will pretty much need one. My only suggestion is don't skimp on the skimmer, you will regret it later. Its better to go a few months without one and buy a quality piece of equipment than buy a POS that's going to end up in the trash.

jenglish
09/11/2009, 12:53 AM
There is really no peice of equipment you absolutely can't live without... but not having a skimmer means a lot of restrictions on what you can do and a lot more work to maintian water quality. For around 170 bucks you can get a pretty decent HOB skimmer from Octopus.

PRDubois
09/11/2009, 01:13 AM
Its kind of like you dont need a bed, but it makes life alot easier.

lancecobb1
09/11/2009, 01:14 AM
+1 On the Octopus skimmers that is what I started with on my 55 and it worked like a charm!

IridescentLily
09/11/2009, 01:17 AM
Ditto on the octopus Extreme skimmer or the vertex skimmers. Those two are recmmended alot because the were like the most expensive ones but don't cost hundreds.
A skimmer is a must have for most newer reefkeepers.
they pull out the yukkiest stuff from the tank water, it's amazing, you'll be like: "all THAT was in my tank?!"

Powerheads. As suggested above, a Vortech is the often suggested one because it is considered one of the best. It gives good flow and it doesn't break. A nano one is about 200.00.

If you can only budget for one thing at a time; get the skimmer. You can buy a cheaper powerhead temporarily but don't skimp on the skimmer.
The ocopus or the vertex are both about 140.00-175.00.
Good luck!
Make sure to ask lots of questions here and on the general discussion section.

I had those things even when I had sw fish only, so I know the will be needed for fish and corals.

smokey377
09/11/2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info ordered Reef Octopus BH 100SS this morning got it for 129.95 from aquacave hope it works.

Also ordered 2 powerheads Koralia 3 Aquarium Pump Powerhead Hydor. Not sure is those were the ones mentioned above, could not find anything on Korella except they make fine ceramic dishware. I think i got a good deal on them 79.99 for both shipped on ebay.

dvmkv
09/11/2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah reef octopus are a great skimmer. I love the one i have and yes it was very costly. But went you trade in frags and get 700 bucks for them its all good. I got the new 2009 DNW 150-6530 one and its external so more room for the sump. Good choice, they are a good brand skimmer.

Zestay
09/11/2009, 07:50 PM
check out the used dry goods selling threads here.
my two cents.

cveverly
09/11/2009, 09:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15683111#post15683111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smokey377
i won't need one that my filter, sand bed, and live rock will be all that i need is this true?

What kind of filter?

What are your plans for the tank?

smokey377
09/15/2009, 08:12 PM
Got my powerheads today koralia 3. Wow their powerfull took me a while to get them so they were not blowing sand around. Anyone know if they will aerate my tank i have had a airstone hooked up till i get my protien skimmer?

Also the filter i have is Rena Filstar XP 2 i think its rated for a 75 gal tank but i learned from my freshwater tank that it does not aerate the tank (reason i have the airstone). Plan to eventually have a reef tank got 60 pounds of Caribbean LR over the weekend.

Also ordered a 234 watt T5 light hoping it and my skimmer are here by friday.

jenglish
09/15/2009, 10:08 PM
If you have your K3 angled up so it is creating surface turbulance it will keep up gas exchange until you get a skimmer

ludnix
09/15/2009, 10:43 PM
You don't want an air stone in your main tank, the bubbles can cause problems for corals. You don't really need to worry too much about aerating your tank, as long as the power heads are getting a little bit of surface agitation you'll get plenty of gas exchange.