PDA

View Full Version : VHO vs Metal Halide

muttley000
09/11/2009, 03:59 AM
I have 2nd guessed myself on this a dozen times:rolleyes: In my DIY canopy over a 29gal (18" deep) with only an inch or so of sand (DSB will be in 29 gal sump) Can I keep clams and SPS under 300 watts of VHO like this
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ICE-4X24R&Category_Code=Icecapvhor Or would I have to go MH and use something like this https://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=LT-HMA2R25014K2VHO
From what I have read I believe I will be able to keep anything I want in an 18" deep tank with the 4 VHO bulb set up, but I don't want to be limited down the road. Would I gain greatly by finding some reflectors to use with the VHO set up? I also like the idea of being able to stagger the 24" bulbs lengthwise to not have dark areas on the sides on my 30" long tank. Anxious for opinions!

gh0st
09/11/2009, 07:15 AM
You should be fine.

I'm keeping a variety of SPS/Clams/Softies, etc under 4 VHO in a 220 gal.

Personally, I'd probably upgrade to the Icecap T5 VHO setup. Less power consumption, and about twice the Par output once the reflectors do their thing. Shouldn't cost much more than the regular VHO setup

doggydoc
09/11/2009, 08:10 AM
MH are the best, but you should be fine with VHO. IMO try for metal halides.

sedor
09/11/2009, 08:37 AM
4 T5's over a 29 would be plenty. Just an FYI, the watts per gallon rule does not apply anymore, keep this in mind when you are looking for T5's because they are very low wattage. Its part of the benefit of using them. I wouldn't suggest MH's on a 29 either, although overall, they are a better light.

muttley000
09/12/2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the input. I haven't even thought about t5's, nor do I know much about them. Would 4 bulbs allow me to keep all I ever want in this tank, or would I need to go for 6 bulbs?

redfishsc
09/12/2009, 07:20 AM
The ONE thing that will put T5's over the VHO in capability is the use of the reflectors.

If you go with T5 (which in your case I definitely WOULD), make dead certain that what you are getting has parabolic reflectors.

I have two T5 units, one with a single big flat reflector for all 4 bulbs, and another same-size model that has individual reflectors (not even parabolic but still individual)---- the one with individual reflectors give me DOUBLE the PAR reading after about 5" and under (using a friend's Apogee Quantum meter)..

In your case I would recommend something like the TEK 4X24 (you will want to fan mod this, the TEK's really need fans), or the TX5 5X24.

If you really want to spend the money, the ATI Sunpower is a fantastic light.

Lastly if you have a canopy, forget the fancy fixtures and just get an Icecap 4X24 retro from www.reefgeek.com. You don't need the expensive Icecap "Very High Output" ballast though, just get a normal "High Output". The Icecap ballast is great but is a bit overkill in your case and will unnecessarily wear the bulbs out quicker.

muttley000
09/12/2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info redfish, I am building a canopy (amateur cabinetmaker here:) ) and will be looking at retrofit kits.