PDA

View Full Version : best way to set-up anem tank

veloboy
09/11/2009, 01:56 PM
Not sure if this thread should be started in the equipment set up sec but figure RC'ers in this thread have quite a bit of experience with anems + clowns!

I'm setting up a 90 and trying to figure out a way that will eliminate the potential for an anemone to get caught in an intake/powerhead. I've thought about putting sponges around powerheads etc but seems like there has to be a solution that would require less maintence and be more effective...

Was thinkin about installing an additional overflow in the 90 to feed a closed loop? :confused:

eggerstout
09/11/2009, 01:59 PM
you could put bridal netting around the intakes of the powerheads

patriots81
09/11/2009, 02:01 PM
sponges does sound like a very safe way to prevent anemones from being caught though as you said, they require alot of maintence. what kind of lighting would you have? what kind of livestock would you have? what kind of anemones? i would suggest btas.

veloboy
09/14/2009, 06:05 AM
Lighting-proly 6xt5's. Livestock - just a single rbta + a pair of premnas clowns couple firefish and a tang.

Bridal netting? I haven't heard that one. Good idea. What if there were like 2-4 intakes on the closed loop to mitigate some of the suction and then that was covered in bridal netting?

saltwaterman112
09/14/2009, 08:02 AM
you shold not have any issues with the rbta usually when they attach to a rock it really hard for them to dislodge. I never had any issue with my rbta but heard others nightmare.

Darkstar22
09/14/2009, 08:44 AM
Wouldn't Korallia's work? They don't have an intake, just a propeller blowing outward.

1DeR9_3Hy
09/14/2009, 09:44 AM
Koralias have sliced and diced as many 'nems as any other powerhead lol....The tentacles just get sucked through the small openings before getting shredded.

OP, look into a closed loop.