PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy????????

kikireef
09/11/2009, 09:46 PM
Ok so here is my dilemma. I am getting a decent sized bonus in the next couple of weeks from work in the area of $1000. I own a 125 gallon 6' long tank. I currently have PC lighting and would like to keep sps which isn't possible with my lighting....obviously. My flow is lacking a bit also and I also really want 2 vortech powerheads to replace my koralias. It's either upgrade my lighting to Hallides which will cost about $1000 for what I want or purchase the vortechs with battery backup for about $1000. If you were in my situation what would you do? I'm leaning towards the vortechs because I figure I could peice together the lighting parts over time vs the time it would take to save up for the 2 vortech pumps.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO????

This is a link to the vortechs that I am leaning towards

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecotech_Marine_VorTech_Propeller_Pumps_with_Wave_Driver_(2xMP40W_Units)_%2b_Battery_Backup_(1xUnit)_ Adjustable_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-EcoTech_Marine-EM1513-FIPHAD-vi.html

kikireef
09/11/2009, 09:49 PM
for some reason the link isn't working but its on marinedepots website. Its 2 of the MP40's with the battery backup.

sanababit
09/11/2009, 09:50 PM
get the vortechs and slowly buy used lighting equipment from the used equipment forum

sana

scottwhitson
09/11/2009, 10:05 PM
Be sure to check out the used forum, there are alot of used ones for sale.

Shane Hoffman
09/11/2009, 10:06 PM
I would buy the lighting and add another koralia.

Or get the vortechs and lighting both used here or on craigslist. I got a 1 year olld 3x250 hamilton fixture for 200$ off craigs list....It takes daily searching in a big city near you but eventuall craigslist will yield some real bargains.....

Macimage
09/11/2009, 10:42 PM
I'd get one Vortech for now, the battery backup and a good used lighting setup.

Good luck!
Joyce

jayk198030
09/11/2009, 10:54 PM
+1

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15688348#post15688348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
I'd get one Vortech for now, the battery backup and a good used lighting setup.

Good luck!
Joyce

yeah one vortech and still could buy MH retro lighting kits of some sort and maybe santa will bring you the second MP40

Snakebyt
09/11/2009, 11:12 PM
i would defenatly go lighting first.. you spend the money on the good pumps and keep the current lighting,you still cant keep the SPS that you want, spend the money on good lights and keep the curretn pumps and you can keep the SPS that you want

Look at it this way, would you rather spend the money on water flow that you really cant see, or lights so you can keep corals that you want to keep and see

ludnix
09/12/2009, 02:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15688459#post15688459 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snakebyt
i would defenatly go lighting first.. you spend the money on the good pumps and keep the current lighting,you still cant keep the SPS that you want, spend the money on good lights and keep the curretn pumps and you can keep the SPS that you want

Look at it this way, would you rather spend the money on water flow that you really cant see, or lights so you can keep corals that you want to keep and see

I totally agree, it doesn't make any sense to me to get vortec before the lighting. SPS needs good flow, but it doesn't care if it comes from koralias or vortecs. I would focus on lighting and water parameters now, get the vortecs later on when you can afford them and you've actually got some SPS to utilize them.