PDA

View Full Version : Pairing BW with Orange Clown

Mrbeachbum2
09/12/2009, 07:10 AM
I found a 2-3 in BW Occ. clown fish. I was wondering if I could pair this with one of the orange clowns (it'd also be an Occ). Or is the size difference too significant? Since the ones sold at the stores are tiny?

Thanks! :rollface:

Butterz
09/12/2009, 07:51 AM
More than likely, the BW will beat up the small one.

addonnis242
09/12/2009, 09:13 AM
I have both in my 120 gal. and at first I was worried about that too. I posted the same question here and most people said that because they were both Ocellaris they would be fine. Those that said they'd be fine were right. As soon as I released the BW into the tank they were side by side hosting the same anemone never once had an issue.

Mrbeachbum2
09/12/2009, 09:42 AM
addonnis, do you think the anemone assisted in the transition significantly?

Octopus8
09/12/2009, 11:55 AM
I paired a decent size B&W Ocellaris with a small Orange Ocellaris and they've been fine for 17 months now. The larger fish established dominance immediately. Now they exhibit typical larger dominant female and submissive smaller male Clownfish behavior. They don't have an anemone and neither show any interest in the Torch Coral or Frogspawn.

Here's a video I took a few weeks ago. The orange clown has grown quite a bit so the size difference isn't as dramatic as it was a year ago.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEdGhDcsjrw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEdGhDcsjrw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

addonnis242
09/12/2009, 01:18 PM
I don't know for sure but I would think it would have made the situation worse. I mean before I added the BW the anemone had been my orange ocellaris' home for over a year. I know clowns tend to be a bit protective of their nems, they nip at my hands every time I'm in the tank near it.

Hope this helps, good luck.

addonnis242
09/12/2009, 01:23 PM
BTW Octopus8's comment makes sense the BW are supposed to be the semi-agressive ones. So I would assume that as in my case the orange one had been in the tank a while and was a little bigger, it had established his/her teritory. Then when I introduced the BW the orange was accepting of it and they bonded. But thats just an assumption.